cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Printing/Plotting

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

I originally posted this in another thread concerning printing/plotting but I decided to post it outright as well to see if it gains any traction. 

As long as NX is on this kick to "modernize" their GUI and the like to win more business, how about they get out of the 1970's concerning their printing technology?

I run and have run a LOT of different CAD systems over the years and I still don't know why printing via Windows this day and age in NX has got to be so difficult! I know we have the other OS's that NX runs on to deal with, but they are a minority at this point. So let them deal with the 1970's tech.

Windows printing even on other 3D CAD systems I have been running for almost 20 years are a breeze to "Print" using the normal Windows print drivers for all the devices out there that we own and operate. We do a lot of printing to either full scale or a specific scale for fabrication purposes and I can no longer do this using NX and its "Print" methods. We have printers set up with "Security" that the "Plot" function in NX can't handle it; hours with GTAC confirms this. So using "Print" works but I cannot control the scale. I get what I get, true/untrue WYSIWYG!

Not to mention our "Print" drawings go into a hold cue on the printers/machine(s) which name every print job the same exact name via NX; "NX Graphic Image"or something useless like that. Every other CAD system prints fine with the actual file name displayed in the hold queue. Thus allowing us to know what we are about to print before we do so. This allows us to delete duplicates or prior prints that we accidentally hit print before we finalized the drawing.

Can I "Plot" to scale? Sure. With a lot of effort (as seen in the other posts) on one machine in our office; our 42" HP Plotter. Which I don't ever want to use for a B size drawing; our shop standard.

I will say GTAC is by far the best experience I have ever had in regards to tech support. Even better than our experiences with Solid Edge GTAC. They bend over backwards to help me every time I call.

Does anyone else realize there is a modern world of Windows Printing out there, or have you all been on UG/NX so long you don't realize how archaic it really is at this point? No offense intended.

Ryan
--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200
5 REPLIES

Re: NX Printing/Plotting

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"As long as NX is on this kick to "modernize" their GUI and the like to win more business, how about they get out of the 1970's concerning their printing technology?"

Agreed. It needs to be improved.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I defined the printers I need and can choose to whichever I want to plot. If I want to plot to A4 or A4 I choose the A3 printer, if it needs to be bigger I choose the big plotter. I agree that it feels archaic. But the output is perfect, nothing to complain. 

I am not sure about your security option. The name in the queue could use some improvement. But most of the time the prints are finished before I get there. No need to mess around in the queue. 

The good thing about the SDI printing system: I set this up in I-deas when it was introduced. My current configuration is still based on that work. This is a one time setup, shared by all users and just works. 

W10 NX11.0.1

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

DJS, 

To be clear, our print "queues" are individualized mailboxes on the printer that store the print jobs so that they are NOT coming out of the printer when we hit the print button. You have to physically walk up, find your name, login, select the print(s) you want and proceed. So with the plot command this does not work as SDI cannot pass the commands to the printer to make this happen. So the printer rejects the plot job. A normal windows print driver for our device can do this with no issues, whether it be another CAD system, word, excel, etc.

Besides printing to scale, the other issue even if the print driver did work is that the list of print/plot jobs are all the same name and cannot be differentiated and or deleted if needed.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Solid Edge V20
NX11.0.1
TC10.1.5 32 GB RAM, nVIDIA Quadro K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer
Permit me to add any positions:
1. I need an arrangement  of sheets from other opened files on bigger format (arrangement A4, A2, A3 on format A1).
2. I have to see what I print before I get it on paper!
3. I want to print "as see" without voodoo in plotadmin: width of line most see and print as it made in drawing. But not in plotadmin.
4. Drivers for printer - ... Why don't you use the standard windows drivers? I have 4 printers. But don't use any of them for direct plot from NX! They are old or their drivers aren't in NX. Before I use the Tiff format and print from it. Now I use the PDF format...

Сhannel for NX users (Russian language) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvf0Rp4Sy6bRRyTYBF9rnJQ

Experimenter
Experimenter

NX 12 Build 26 includes a new plotting interface called APS which can be activated as described here. Depending on user feedback, we hope it will be adopted as an advancecd "Print" feature within NX which should address points 2-4 mentioned. 

As far as plotting multiple drawings on a single sheet, we have a Montaging tool which would allow you to achieve this but are open to discuss requirements to make this a more streamlined solution.

Guy

System Development, Inc. (SDI)