cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Routing - Flexible Pipe questions

Experimenter
Experimenter

Dear All,

hopefully somebody can help me to find a solution for my folowing issue Smiley Happy

At the moment my company using assemblies for flexible hoses (1 fitting + tube in the middle + 1 fitting) as deformable parts, having lines and bridge curves in the top assy level as a guide for the deformable tube.

When I insert this pipe assy in the main assy I add a constrain for 1 fitting and make the other fitting 'flexible' then I can constrain it where it needs to go, then select the bridge curve as a guise rail.

This method is not adaptive, so if I have to move the position of the fittings, I need to re attach the lines for the guide rail.

With this method I can have the same 'part nr' for many difffeent lookign flexible pipe (but with similar length) , and also I can produce a drawing, showing the original sub assy, with straight tube, so we can source it out from a supplier.

I have now a trial licence for the mechanical routing as the management is looking for a quicker way to do the piping

assemblies.

Is there any way I can achive the same principle for my pipe routes, such as:

-having only one assembly for the similar (same) length pipes, but using different guides (splines) in the main assy,

-have a drawing showing the straight pipe for manufacturing purposes.

I am using NX 11.0.1.11

thanks a lot,

regards,

Richard 

3 REPLIES

Re: NX Routing - Flexible Pipe questions

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello Richard,

Certainly.

It sounds like you are new to routing, so I'll outline the whole process.  My apologies if you already know this.

Your fittings need to be 'Qualified' for routing.  Not strictly required but makes everything else easier.

Qualify Part, and create a fitting port.  Choices here, but usually put the port on the outside face of the hole for the stock.  Change the Engagement distance to a value where the stock will bottom out in the hole.  Extension for a default distance that you'd like to be straight before curving. Enter some small value so that the first direction will be in the direction of the port

Save.

Create an assembly and add the fittings.  Place anywhere, but it's helpful if they aren't in line.

Make a routing spline path using Spline Path.   Select the port of one fitting, a screen point somewhere in the middle, and select the port of the other fitting.  Change the shape mode to Locked Length, and set the length that you'd like.

You can add a stock or just a space reservation in the spline path dialog or separately.  Makes no difference.

Move the fittings if needed.

Create the deform definition.   You only need to select the stock feature.

Save.

Now add that to another assembly.  I usually just add by screen position and then move the fittings as needed.

NX will automatically create a new spline path at the assembly level for you and add the stock to it.  You can alter the spline as needed.  You'll always need one free point (that middle point) for the locked length constraint to work, but otherwise you can add new points and move or even associate to clamps as needed.

NX also adds a Position Override to the fittings automatically, and copies the constraints including the locked length to the assembly.

There's a lot of ways to make this act a bit differently.  If the length can change, e.g. you order the assembly of the same parts but difference lengths, leave out the Locked Length constraint.  If you'd prefer to create a spline path in the assembly beforehand, define the deform with Add Geometry.  And so on.

Good luck,

Doug

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Doug,

many thanks for your extensive explanation!

yes, I am a very newbie with pipe routing Smiley Happy

in the main time jsut found a youtube video explaning it, exactly how you described!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKkRvHb5DE

Really appreciate your time and help!

Al lthe best,

Richard

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

That's a great video.  And it's a small world.  I know the person doing the demonstration.  And we live in the same city.  And the person who started AppliedCAX and I worked together at the same company before we both left for greener pastures.