Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Simplify Assembly Function Large Assembly Management

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Mainly for Siemens staff or anyone in the know...

Is the Simplify Assembly function still a mainstream utility for managing large assemblies in NX10?

Given other CAD systems (Creo, Solidworks, Catia, etc.) have lightweight and complexity reduction functions I still see they all utilize "enveloped" style components for use at the next assembly just as NX does with Simplify Assembly. So it appears other CAD tools still find it a necessary function to have, is that the future case for NX as well?

The way I see the Simplify Assembly function would be used is as follows:

1) Build complex component model with many parts

2) Create a linked Simplify Assembly feature which is stored in a special Reference Set with in the complete component assembly that hides all internals and gives an accurate external representation of the component (Lets call that reference set "Envelope")

3) Assemble said component at Next (Top) assembly.

4) Set Reference Set load order to have "Envelope" followed up with "Model" and so on...

5) When loading the Top Assembly it will load the Simplifed versions of the components using the Envelope reference sets.

Is this what is still envisioned using NX10 for extreme Large Assembly model management for reduced RAM pull and faster model load times, along with Lightweight representations?

Or is Siemens going away from the Simplify Assembly function?

Or is it worth using, as stated above, meaning does it save Load time and RAM pull?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES

Re: NX Simplify Assembly Function Large Assembly Management

Genius
Genius

Hello,

what really helps with LARGE assemblies is the "representations" feature. You can either use it out of the box (advanced assembly license required) or with the help of several tools like http://neoapps.de/en/nx-representation-en/ or similar (I am not connected to that company)

regards,

Josch

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Josch,

Have you found that using Representations (NX 10 Help Link on Representations) is all that is required in any large assembly without the need for any further simplification of the model?

Have you ever had to use the Simplify Assembly function to achieve a manageable assembly before or after using the Representations?

Thanks!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I guess from the lack of response to this post I assume that most folks don't use the Simplify Assembly function? I would think that the ship building community would probably use this the most often to reduce memory usage and load times given how large a ship top assembly would be.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi Corey, I have discovered this post only now, I think the workflow you suggest (Simplify Assembly and dedicated Ref Set) is really a precious tip! I am working both with large building models and boats and this solves many problems. I also use another 'structure':

Simplify Assembly feature in each 'top level' Assembly; lower level components all closed. 'Above-all' level  Assembly loading all the said 'top level assembly' containing Simplify Assm feature.

In this way I need to load a much reduced number of components. Loading is really faster, and drafting also.

I also use Simplify Assembly features without really 'simplify': I skip the 'leak check' option and I just 'sum up' in a single feature only the bodies I want to see in a particular contest: this may seem silly, but again I can see what I need loading only one file instead of all the components.

I think that people who only use Lightweight representations don't have the most critical problem that we have in shipbuilding and architecture, that is being able to 'represent' things at different scale (the more the scale increase, the less detail you need: at 1:100 I cannot use a model with all the details of a 1:1).

Laura

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you for the reply Laura! That's awesome to hear someone else sees the use of the Simplify Assembly function in the same and similar fashions as I use it for. I also almost always skip the leak check part of the function and use it exactly the same way where I select only the things I need, unite them, and cut (extrude) away any internals I can clean out. I've found the sealing and closing up of the component is usually very time consuming and it really doesn't gain that much more than just doing the simple selection and uniting that you also do.

Thanks again for the reply!