Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Thread Feature and External Threads

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi All,

For those of you who model external threads I have questions regarding modeling practice.

In current NX, if I add a thread feature to an external cylinder the thread command expects a cylinder diameter equal to a "Shaft Dia" value found in the thread.dat file.

(By "thread.dat file" I refer to thd_metric.dat or thd_english.dat (aka "imperial") respectively).

A "Shaft Dia" value delivered with NX is the minimum of a max/min range of values for the major diameter of a thread - ie, minimum major diameter. The range of values is familiar in a Machinery's Handbook or a thread standard. A "Shaft Dia" value delivered with NX may not meet your particular need based on your manufacturing practice.

When you model a cylinder for an external thread, do you model the cylinder diameter equal to a diameter specific to your manufacturing practice? And to add a thread feature to that cylinder do you customize the "Shaft Dia" values in the thread.dat file to match your practice?

Or, do you model a cylinder of nominal thread size? For example, a 10mm cylinder for a M10 thread. And customize the "Shaft Dia" values in the thread.dat to nominal size?

Or other?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric
1 REPLY 1

Re: NX Thread Feature and External Threads

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @EricMawby .

if I create an M10 external thread, I create the cylinder of 10 mm. When I add the thread, NX advise me of the incongruence, but I go straight.  Smiley Happy

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM