Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX and Simcenter 3D on the Linux operating systems

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

We have been monitoring customer use of NX and Simcenter 3D on the Linux operating systems. NX and Simcenter 3D were first released on Linux SUSE starting with NX 4.0.0 in 2005 and Linux Red Hat starting with NX 7.5 in 2010. Driven by customer requests and an expectation that customers would leverage specific capabilities of the Linux operating systems for differentiated benefit on the Linux operating system. Throughout these years, few customers have decided to proceed with NX or Simcenter 3D on the Linux operating system. Via our Blog, I am interested in roll call feedback on special advantages that you are finding on the Linux operating systems?

7 REPLIES

Re: NX and Simcenter 3D on the Linux operating systems

Experimenter
Experimenter

I see Linux support as an asset to the NX product and a differentiator in the market.  From the perspective of what Linux bring to the party its stability, security and ease of administration.  With first class support for tools like Docker (inc GPU), robotics platforms such as ROS and various ML frameworks I see interest in it in the workstation market only rising as these technologies become more important and interlased into designers workflows.

The Linux workstation is widely used in the Media and Entertainment sector where software pipelines are taken vary seriously with Linux releases coming out before w32 support. Also in the server space it is the standard and use of NX’s API to serve innovative applications on Linux over the internet is again an asset.

2018 the year of the Linux desktop Smiley Wink

Hi aiqmmrhs

When we originally invested to create and provide NX for Linux operating system, we expected many others to see Linux as an asset and differentiator for NX use and environment alternatives, as you noted.  Unfortunately, the NX customer base has not made this selection.  Almost no others have seen the value that you note below for Linux operating system as a PLM/CAx client for NX and Simcenter; different perspective compared to your note highlighting Media and Entertainment sectors.

George

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I use NX for all my home computer and my job laptop wich is great because it use way less ressource then windows but unfortunatly was unable to get other's in the company to follow.. One of the issue we have is that we work with different soft mainlly NX but we do have solid edge and catia v5 to. Since they don't run on linux... it's hard to get all your desktop on linux. I know that catia v5 should work on wine but it's not stable.(catia v5 not been stable on any OS)

I would argue that small company just doesn't have the knowledge or experience to move from an OS to another... they keep going on with qhat they have. You would have more liscence on linux if you could demonstrate that it's faster and cheaper then windows.

Anyway I was please with the linux version off NX even with some module not working.

Hi FBergeron

Thanks for your feedback on the positive interaction with NX on Linux. Glad to know that the NX release on this operating system maintains the NX high quality and deployment readiness.

We are focused on providing materials – presentations, blog articles, demonstrations – highlighting the value and strengths of NX for our global customers.

We are not trying to direct customers to one operating system or another. The challenge with NX and Simcenter 3D on the Linux operating system, is Customers are not selecting this operating system for their NX deployments.

My earlier Blog post was to identify this, to see what feedback was generated, and to consider next steps.

George

Thanks for your feedback and open dialog with us on any advantages that you are finding on the Linux operating systems. Following business review of the commercial status of NX and Simcenter 3D on the Linux operating system and considering the dialog on the Community Blog site, we have decided to proceed with the retirement of NX and Simcenter 3D from the Linux operating systems.

NX 12 and Simcenter 3D v12, released in October 2017, will be the final enhancement release on the Linux Operating System.

NX 12 and Simcenter 3D v12 will continue to be available for the Linux Operating System through December 2019 with maintenance updates via the regular maintenance process.

GTAC team will continue to provide support for NX and Simcenter 3D running on the Linux Operating System.

Simcenter 3D solvers, NX Nastran, and SAMCEF are not impacted by this decision, these will continue to support the Linux operating system.

Thank you for your communication and your ongoing loyalty to the NX and Simcenter 3D products. This business decision will allow us to devote additional resources to accelerate delivery of new functionality and solutions in the NX and Simcenter 3D products.

Legend
Legend

That's unfortunate, we were just starting to evaluate Linux as a replacement for CAE... 

With the new AMD Threadripper & EPYC processors, the performance and scalabitliy gap between Linux & Windows 10 (or Server) was so staggering that it made us consider Linux very seriously...

Even though NX Nastran is available on Linux, the NX Nastran Desktop users won't have an alternative after NX 12 Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We use NX on RH7 for all of our development. Pretty much our whole R&D department plus the designers are on Linux workstations.

Apart from working together with the rest of our non-NX design system, one main advantage is running the same setup on our grid machines, where we do parametric optimization using NX. 

Nikolas Losse | Developer | Siemens PG PR R&D TEC
NX11 | RHEL7 | Python