Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX files can be deleted when file is open???

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I have a working folder that I work out of.  In this folder I can't delete PDF's if I have the PDF open. BUT, I can delete an NX file that I am working on while it's open.  Is there a setting in NX or something?  I don't understand because I can't delete PDF's when they are open. Any recomended solution to not allow files to be deleted when they are open?  Thank you

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Re: NX files can be deleted when file is open???

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Probably Adobe does "magic" behind the scenes (in Windows) to do this (possibly similar to what Office apps - Word, Excel, etc.) do.

Siemens doesn't...

Perhaps with NX going to just 1 platform (Windows) they can implement something.

I'd suggest submitting an IR (probably will end up as an ER) with GTAC to address it.

If it is a new ER (or if they tell you an existing ER) you could post the ER number here to get others to file "me too" ERs.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@GreatScott88 wrote:

Hello,

I can delete an NX file that I am working on while it's open.  Is there a setting in NX or something?

Any recomended solution to not allow files to be deleted when they are open?

There is no setting in NX to prevent files open in the session from being deleted.  When a part is opened, NX caches the file and works on the cached version while it's open in the session.  When you save the part NX compares the cached version with the one on disk, and if the original part hasn't been touched since you opened it, it will be replaced with the cached version.  This is why other users are able to open the original file, while you're working on a copy of it, and save changes to it - but that's another story.

Just make it a habit of not deleting part files while you have an NX session open (better still, backup your files and/or invest in a PDM system, such as Teamcenter, which will lock the data while it has been "checked out").  While you're at it, don't delete any files from your temporary folder while you have a session of NX open.  NX creates undo files in NX, amongst other temporary files, that will render your session useless if you delete them.

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Genius
Genius

@BenBroad wrote:
NX creates undo files in NX, amongst other temporary files, that will render your session useless if you delete them.

Where is the "undo files" placed? Does this mean that NX create an undo file in certain time interval? Thanks!

UNDO files are in your %TMP% folder (NOT "%TEMP%", although they typically point the same place) by default

In case someone is redirecting that when you start NX, in an NX session:

File -> help -> Log file

Then search the "information" window for UGII_TMP_DIR

Genius
Genius

Hi @Ken_A  Thank you for your information!

I thought that "undo files" are .prt files saved every time interval and can be used to get unsaved part files back. I seem to be wrong. There are no .prt files under the %TMP% folder.

No, Undo files are Undo files.

Note if you delete them, the ability to "undo" also goes away.

I'm not sure how often they are created, or when NX creates a new one (I suspect when the ability to undo goes away - e.g. you change parts or applications or ...)

The .SYSLOG file (same folder) can (with some convolutions) be used to get a file back to its current state, but that's not a process for the faint of heart.

Genius
Genius

Hi @Ken_A   If it's not an easy process, let me forget it. Thank you!

Phenom
Phenom

@Ken_A wrote:

The .SYSLOG file (same folder) can (with some convolutions) be used to get a file back to its current state, but that's not a process for the faint of heart.

just out of curiousity, did anyone ever managed to do so in NX recorded history ? 

I tried once, it seemed to succeed but in the end a missing recorded Space Mouse operation drove everything out of sync and it failed :-)

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Ken_A wrote:

No, Undo files are Undo files.

Note if you delete them, the ability to "undo" also goes away.

I'm not sure how often they are created, or when NX creates a new one (I suspect when the ability to undo goes away - e.g. you change parts or applications or ...)

There was Undo enhancements in NX12.

Undo list is retained with switch between applications or displayed part.

Also there is a customer default settings to specify the undo file size.
File > Utilities > Customer Defaults > Gateway > User Interface > Options tab > 'Undo File Size' under "User Feedback"