Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX files can be deleted when file is open???

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Yes, many -many years ago, but now i would say it will not work.
The "macro" language is too sensitive for tiny changes .
as an example, if one has, in the crashed session, created a new file xyz.prt in directory \abc\, the syslog running as a macro will also attempt create xyz.prt in \abc\, and then the macro will halt.

To my knowledge, the Undo files are written synchronously. ( like the syslog)

/ Tomas

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@Maurizio wrote:

@Ken_A wrote:

The .SYSLOG file (same folder) can (with some convolutions) be used to get a file back to its current state, but that's not a process for the faint of heart.

just out of curiousity, did anyone ever managed to do so in NX recorded history ? 

Limited success here too.

20 years of supporting NX and I've only had one session completely replay (the user said it was about an hours worth of work).  This was many versions ago.  There are too many variables that prevent the entire session replaying, but it's worth trying in the event that some work can be recovered.  I've also used syslogs in the past to try to replicate errors in the case where a user supplies their part and a syslog but cannot recall the steps to reproduce the error - playing back the session sometimes replicates the error.  YMMV.

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1876) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is it still like this? Do we have any updates this year? Still we can't delete or replace open prt file from nx?

Siemens Phenom
Still like what ? That open files can be deleted ?

If you consider this question from a economical view, you will probably see that it might not happen that soon.
NX development has a budget. All changes must be fitted into this budget.
if one project goes in , other projects will be affected.
what do we want them to spend the money on ?
-making sure that somebody doesn't delete my files ?

Regards,
Tomas

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Thomas,

Thanks for your replay. I can understand NX budget constraints, not asking to add function for tracking record of delete files.  Here I am trying to achieve only one thing which is replace prt file with updates even it is selected/ loaded once in NX. I meant if someone deletes file then it should release from nx cache memory as well. so we can save new file with same name and location. I thought may be NX has such type of functionality to fulfil this.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

And what if a file is replaced that has (unsaved) work done on it?  The user can't save their work!

Is NX supposed to check every second or 2 that the file on disk hasn't changed?  If so, how? (OS properties such as last changed date? or use open the assembly & read the history? or ?)

Is it supposed to do this for all 1000 parts in an assembly?

Do you want to do work in NX, or constantly wait for it to check all the components it has open?

To me, you should NOT be replacing disk files *while they are open in NX sessions* - this is BAD file management practice.

Why do you feel the need to do this?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey Ken_A,

Thanks for your reply! I could solve my problem for selected tool in NX with delete and add a new file with deleted file name. For updated tool inside my db, I want to transfer to NX if it is added in NX library already. I understand to delete file is not proper way but there is no replace option I could see in NX, hence deleting file. I am deleting complete assembly prt only not seperate part's prt.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

What do you mean by "tool"?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom
ShivaniVyas1,
Can you explain it like i am five years old, what it is that you are attempting to do, or what you would like to do.
I do not understand the scope.
Regards,
Tomas