Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX functionality questions and enhancement requests

Creator
Creator

Just putting this out there for feedback and to prompt some improvements from developers.

16 REPLIES

Re: NX functionality questions and enhancement requests

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note - if you want to register these with development, you will have to file IRs with GTAC (or whomever you get support thru).

Posting here is OK to get comments from other users, and development MAY read your issues, but may or may not act on them.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Yup, I understand.  This was just a list of things that have come up while developing and creating in NX that I wanted to share.  I have submitted some of these with GTAC already.  Some of the topics may be obscure when it comes to the isssues with the SPM (Standard Part Management), but most of it should be familiar to NX users.

Phenom
Phenom

I'm really interested in what type of products and the process you are using that you would require such enhancements.

Have you considered looking into a PDM system. That will take care of you many, if not all of your library issues.

Assigning colors to faces and edges? Is this for inspection purposes or something like that? I've seen people apply attributes to faces and use utilites to highlight faces based on attribute values but not color...at least not since the wireframe days of CAD. I've also seen people apply PMI.

Layers, who uses layers anymore? ;-) If you want to control visiability of components you can use groups or look at adv assemblies and control things with zones, scripts, size and attributes.

Item 13 sounds a lot like "Configurations" in SolidWorks...keep in mind NX is not SW..trying to use NX like SW will only frustrate you.

16- Once again why the need for multiple reference sets? Most of the companies that I've worked at or trained at use maybe a max of 3 named reference sets. 

17. Heck no! show me what is relavent to my work part. The last thing I want to see is all the constraints of bolts, nuts, washer, etc all the way through my assembly..that would be complete chaos.

Phenom
Phenom

@RyanM wrote:

Assigning colors to faces and edges? Is this for inspection purposes or something like that? I've seen people apply attributes to faces and use utilites to highlight faces based on attribute values but not color...at least not since the wireframe days of CAD. I've also seen people apply PMI.

mf_20170816_01.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ryan M.

I would disagree with Layers. That is how we control what is shown in Assemblies. All of our Assemblies and parts are cloned (some from version 2). Siemen's has enough issues with supporting Legacy parts/commands without throwing this in the mix.

Highlighted

Creator
Creator
  1. Edit-->Feature-->Assign Feature Color : The limitiation of this function is to assign the associative color to the faces of the selected feature and not the base object.  When shaded the face is the associative color.  When in wireframe you see the original base color.  You have to manually change the base color with Edit Object Color or Edit Object Display in order to make them the same.  So, maybe saying edges was not correct but why not also have this associative color option for bodies, curves, or other objects and not just faces?
    1. Colors are used to allow our scheduling software to recognize the types of surfaces on each component to assign time and cost to creating that component.  
    2. We also use colors to represent tolerances to be applied when creating the toolpath programs for machining.
  2. Layers : This goes beyond wanting to control the visability of components.  And yes in the context of an assembly I don't feel they are required.  However, we have many part files that have a lot of objects in them.  Sketches, sheet bodies, coordinate systems, etc.  Even when implementing a level of organization using feature groups, you are still limiting the users ability to control what is visible in the work space.  Using Feature groups alone only gives you the ability to show or hide.  So if you want to focus on updating on object (a large 3d surface) you can hide everything and only show that object.  But wait, I need to extract some surfaces and choose to hide the original so that I can utilize both sides of my visible work space.  What is shown and what is hidden.  If I reverse my visible work space I have the hundreds of objects that were already hidden that interfere with my task.  This is solved by combining the use of layers with feature groups and show/hide.  I place that 3d surface object on a layer by itself, make it the work layer, and I have the freedom to create my surfaces and show and hide those surfaces without managing all of the other objects in that part file.
  3. Suppress Features by expression :  (13) The shortcoming here is that if you have a shared suppression you can't select or deselect features that you want to add or remove from that shared suppression.  In order to fix it you have to delete it and then recreate it.
  4. Reference Sets : (16) These are essential to using NX and one of it's core strengths of assemblies, components, and wave linking.  When developing standard parts and I discover that I need to add or remove a reference set I shouldn't have to delete and re-create them to get them in the order that we would like.
    1. FastenerRefSets.JPG
  5. Constraint Navigator : (17)  I don't want to see the constraints in the graphic display or work space.  I want the constaint navigator to have the ability to show me all the constraints throughout the assembly and not only those that exist in the displayed part.  If constaints are broken in a very involved assembly, I don't want to click and expand throughout the structure in my part navigator to find the status of the constriants.  

Creator
Creator

Cool, thanks!  But this requires the progressive die design module.  The colors we assign are meant to identify 3d machining, 2d machining, or any other manufacturing process that is needed to create the part.  My question is why only allow an associative color on faces of a feature and why not allow that color to also apply to the base color of the object.

Phenom
Phenom

1: a face is red and the adjacent face is blue; What is the common wire frame edge? Red, Blue or Purple?

4: Why don’t you use a numbering in front of the Reference Set like 0010_ABC, 0020_DEFE….

5: I agree.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Using a number in front of a reference set name won't help. The names are listed in creation order and don't get sorted. I believe there are already ER's on this topic, pester GTAC so it gets higher priority.

If you don't want to see the constraints in the graphic display, right click the top node in the constraint navigator and turn off constraint display.