Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX> Utilities Vs. NX >Preferences

Phenom
Phenom

NX> Utilities Vs NX >Preferences; What is the difference and why are they apart?

I’m still unable to clearly distinguish and define a valid reason for this!  Since the differences about their contents are not clear I’ve to always keep looking in one or in the other. I must be missing something!

Any Help?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

4 REPLIES 4

Re: NX> Utilities Vs. NX >Preferences

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Are you asking about the difference between "customer defaults" and "file preferences"?

If so, the fundamental difference is that "file preferences" apply to your current file only and "customer defaults" are a saved set of preferences that get used when you start a brand new, blank file (file -> new -> blank template) or when you use one of the "inherit from customer default" options. If you use a template file to start a new part, the new part inherits the template's settings. The customer defaults were used heavily before the "template files" were officially supported. Customer defaults are still used to "enforce" certain options; you can lock down dimension preferences, for instance, and individual users will be unable to change those preferences.

Let's say that you start a new drawing from a template, add some views and dimensions, and decide that you want to change something about the dimension style. If you go to preferences -> drafting and make the change, it will only apply to new dimensions that you create. It will not update existing dimensions that you have already created nor will it change the style for new drawings that you create from the same template; it applies to new dimensions in this file only. To update existing dimensions, you will need to select them and change the style or delete and re-create them.

If you go to the customer defaults and make your change to the dimension preferences, it will have no effect on your current file. The preferences in your current file were inherited from the template file. If you edit an individual dimension or the file preferences, you can now use the "inherit from customer defaults" and it will pick up your change. If you start a new, blank file (file -> new -> blank), the values in the customer defaults will be used as the new file preferences.

If you want the change to affect all future drawings, you need to open the drawing templates and make your change via preferences -> drafting; or make the change in the customer defaults then open the templates and update the template preferences (inherit from customer default).

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks, @cowski1 for your detail explanation of the functionality.

The confusion is from the Customer Default setting which is not responding dynamically as normally expected.

I know it’s the NX way. But why is it shying away from using one standard setting per part file? Wouldn’t it be beautiful if we could see the results immediately as we change default settings? Isn’t it a waste of clicks to change settings, select what and where to apply or delete the dimensions and recreate? Also when you take the route of applying new Customer Defaults/Preferences, it looses applied tolerances and other valuable annotations attached with the dimensions. May be there is a good reason for this! Anybody?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Edit: Customer defaults vs. templates is a common topic that confuses NX users. I'm not sure what Siemens can do to improve the situation, but I hope they do something.

"The confusion is from the Customer Default setting which is not responding dynamically as normally expected."

I forgot to mention that there are "part specific" and "session" settings. The majority of the options in the customer defaults are "part specific" so will not have any effect on existing parts. The "session" settings affect your current session and will take effect when you restart NX. None of the changes to customer defaults are "dynamic", it requires a restart of NX for the new settings to take effect.

"But why is it shying away from using one standard setting per part file?"

I don't understand this question. Part settings only have a single value; only one preference value can be used at a time. Changing a part specific preference will have no effect on existing dimensions; this is as it should be - there can be good reasons to make one or more dimensions different than the others (tolerances, line & arrow settings, etc).

Phenom
Phenom

@cowski1: Your reply is the type of answer I’m referring to in my question:

"But why is it shying away from using one standard setting per part file?"

I don't understand this question. Part settings only have a single value; only one preference value can be used at a time. Changing a part specific preference will have no effect on existing dimensions; this is as it should be - there can be good reasons to make one or more dimensions different than the others (tolerances, line & arrow settings, etc).

For a sake of one or two rarely special dimensions, why do you want stop updating dynamically to a common scheme applied to the whole part according to one standard values (on existing and also new dimensions, annotations, tolerances etc.)? Under International Standards, those values are set and specified already.

I know in other CAD software, when you switch your standards, those standard specifications are applied instantly. If you change the standard values to your likings, it will show that the system is following modified standards. Eg. DIN-modified. If you really want to change some few instances, it allows to change them individually. Whatever it is, it corresponds lively, not like NX sleep mode which needs re-energize repeatedly, giving a boring and dead feeling.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW