Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX is available for download

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @1u7obd ,

I have the same problem. I would like an update and not a new install.

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Legend
Legend

1872 isn't an update. it's a new series.

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/support/docs.html

Rob Newcomb, Design and Engineering manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2020.0
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
on the other hand,... i have no license file for 1872 since these have not been emailed yet, and,...
the "Version less" NX requires a NEW license file, -for the NEW version, hm ...,

Regards,
Tomas

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @R_Newcomb ,

I know that it's a new version.

Siemens PLM talks of an update in the help you have linked, not upgrade.

The Automatic update doesn't work.

Why the 'Automatic update' update the installation and the manual install doesn't have in the wizard the choice to new installation and update installation?

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Legend
Legend

@cubalibre00 

Honestly, I gave up trying to figure it out and am sticking with NX12 until customer requirements force the upgrade, most of our customers are still using NX11.

I've been an early adopter for 20 years.

Rob Newcomb, Design and Engineering manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2020.0
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So @BenBroad , will there be an msi, to to update/upgrade/move from pre-1872 to 1872?  or will we have to manually do these MR type moves?  And if so, we never had to do a new install, with an MR, before  "continous release",  which in itself, doesn't sound like "new install".  I was under the impression that from now on, the software would just build upon itself.

And does Siemens realize how silly it seems, when talking about this, and trying to avoid the use of the word "version", since NX is now "version less", but with new non-version numbes, following the letters NX?

Edit:  Apparently Siemens is confused about their versionless software as well.

update_version.jpg

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

So everyone must do the customer defaults from beginning. 

I supposed that siemens with NX series sould have fix this problem, but unfortunally didn't. 

Only marketing reasons!

What about the Macro commands? Sould we have to make them again? 

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

OK, I just got the red light on my test install of NX1867, so I'm going to see how/where this 1872 installs.

Update:  The new 1872 via this method, wants to install into it's own folder, not update the existing install. 

Our IT dept doesn't install NX in C:\Program Files|, we use C:\Siemens\NX\, and the prompt is to put it into Program Files, so we now have the opportunity for users to install into the "wrong" directory.  I'll have to discuss with IT regarding this.

Edit:  Reading the "NX 1872 Updating the Installation" document, I see no mention of needing to install to a new directory structure, only updates, and upgrades.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I did the full install but pointed it to the NX folder to overwrite 1847+.  Once we get an updated license file, I will see if that actually worked.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

To give some context to what is happening here.

When we started out on our move to Continuous Release our goal was to keep everyone current and as mentioned here our orginal thoughts were, "just move people up"

After we presented at various user conferences, RUG's, customer meetings it became pretty obvious that our vision wasn't going to work for a lot of you because you wanted to be able to run older series of code, you wanted the safety net of keeping the current version of NX around and for some of you, you needed that older version for customers or supplier integration.

So, we adapted our plans and have opted for the parallel installation path.

Now you could ask, "why make that the default?" which is a good question and maybe something we should revisit based on feedback here, so, should we make the default to simply overwrite and then an option to do the parallel path?

I guess like all things where there are two options whichever one you set as default will be wrong for a percentage of users, our challenge is to pick the less wrong of the two.

Hope that explains some of the background.

Paul