Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX is available for download

Phenom
Phenom

@Paul_Brown wrote:

To give some context to what is happening here.

When we started out on our move to Continuous Release our goal was to keep everyone current and as mentioned here our orginal thoughts were, "just move people up"

After we presented at various user conferences, RUG's, customer meetings it became pretty obvious that our vision wasn't going to work for a lot of you because you wanted to be able to run older series of code, you wanted the safety net of keeping the current version of NX around and for some of you, you needed that older version for customers or supplier integration.

So, we adapted our plans and have opted for the parallel installation path.

Now you could ask, "why make that the default?" which is a good question and maybe something we should revisit based on feedback here, so, should we make the default to simply overwrite and then an option to do the parallel path?

I guess like all things where there are two options whichever one you set as default will be wrong for a percentage of users, our challenge is to pick the less wrong of the two.

Hope that explains some of the background.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Brown ,

simply add in the NX setup install a point where the user can decide for a new installation or an update.

A lot of install setup have this point in the wizard.

You have decided the opposite decision and not to the simple solution to add the user decision.

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

so @Paul_Brown , how often can we expect a release, that will be a seperate install?  When there were versions, it was obvious, 10 to 11, 11 to 12, but the versionless cryptic year designation, is not.  Plus,I have not stumbled upon the documentation that explains this, which would have been good to know, before we planned our update.  Now, 2 weeks prior, 1 of which I am on vacation, we have to call an audible, and change the plan.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Dave,

If things continue with the current approach, i.e. we sit back and do nothing different with the update process then this would happen at the major enhancement dates mid year and end of year.  So the cadence would be six months.

But, we continue to listen and adapt things like updates and installs, so, will we find smarter ways to do this based on feedback?  Highly likely as we know this is important to all users.

Paul

Legend
Legend

I'm still waiting to see what our major customers are going to do 1st. GM, FCA, and Daimler Trucks.

I haven't seen anything on supplypower about a plan on migrating from NX11

We always keep an install at their level in case something needs to get sent back or there is some sort of other issues, but normally we're on the latest release.

Rob Newcomb, Design and Engineering manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2020.0
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

So if i understand this correctly:
 There will be two new versions ( series) each year. Each is a new install.
 The old scheme with Maintenance Packs (MP's) and  Maintenance Releases ( 12.0.1; 12.0.2 etc) have been replaced with (semi-)automatic patching with weird numbering.

And there is no known method to know if 1886 is a patch or a new series.

Regards,

Tomas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Our company, for one, would prefer the default be a separate install.

Some of the products we make keep planes flying in the intended course.

We can't have upgrades in NX (or whatever software) "just happen", without *some* level of testing, or we risk planes creating craters in the ground, which is generally viewed as "not a good thing".

But as long *as I know what is going on*, and have a way to make sure users NEVER upgrade on their own (intentionally, or automatically) I am OK with whatever course Siemens takes.

And from what I understand, the next "major" update will be NX1899 (Jan, 2020 "ish").  But I too do not like the current versioning scheme...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Legend

Tomas,

Not sure I follow on your comment on "no known method" it's clear in the release notes what type of release you are installing.

But I will also say that we are looking at holding a consistent cadence for the major enhancement releases to make it easier for you to plan how and when you deploy NX.

Regards

Paul

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@R_Newcomb wrote:

I'm still waiting to see what our major customers are going to do 1st. GM, FCA, and Daimler Trucks.

I haven't seen anything on supplypower about a plan on migrating from NX11

We always keep an install at their level in case something needs to get sent back or there is some sort of other issues, but normally we're on the latest release.

@R_Newcomb,

I had to do a little digging in my emails, but there was 1 supplier communication sent from GM on 25OC18 outlining GM's decision to test and deploy then eventually migrate to NX12.0.2 in Q4 2019.  Search for bulletin ID 189120.

As usual, I'm sure things are subject to change.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Paul_Brown   my first suggestion, would be better communication.  Maybe I just missed it, but from what I've read here, I'm not alone.  We are a somewhat unique case though, we aren't a customer via reseller, or traditional sales rep.  We deal with a branch of Siemens marketing, and our technical rep is actually "pre-sales".  I rely mostly on what I read on here, and the weekly email.  How about making the majors, more obvious?

If the plan is for major enhancements are going to be roughly every 6 months, requiring a new install, and NXcustom ( @GerritKoelewijn ) update, that is essentially twice as often as when NX had versions.  This will most likelly slow our upgrade process, since we like to spend our time designing faster cars, as opposed to reworking our install.  I was looking forward to the continious release idea, of setting up NXcustom once, having updates installed on top of the previous, and only having to tweak the custom stuff.  This would have both saved us time, and kept us closer to using the latest software, which makes Siemens marketing happy.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Siemens Legend

DaveK,

We will have to do better making sure people understand what is happening, when releases are coming out.

In general you will see a lot more activity on the blog around the major releases, so for example on Friday we posted:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Blog/Remove-the-Barriers-to-Innovation-Lat...

Which we intend to keep doing for the major versions.

BTW, when you move up, while we by default install into a new folder (you can change that and overwrite your existing version) one thing we do is update all of the things like the start groups, so when you see NX on your start menus etc. it will be the latest version.

In terms of your NXCustom I'm sure Gerrit will fill us in on what happens to his work.

I think you have been talking to some of my team on this so don't be surprised if Pat reaches out to you.

Regards,

Paul

And as I lead the global marketing team for NX, thanks for trying to make me happy.  Although, reading some of the posts on here, I did come to the conclusion that telling everyone on this forum that information puts me around the same level as tax inspectors and lawyers in many peoples eyes :-)