Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX is available for download

Phenom
Phenom

@DaveK ,

read this topic, another ridiculous situation.

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@1u7obd wrote:

And there is no known method to know if 1886 is a patch or a new series.

As long as the NX internal variable NX_COMPATIBLE_BASE_RELEASE_VERSION doesn't change, you have installed a patch of that version.

You can use this variable in ugii_env.dat files, retrieve it by NXOpen API or with env_print.exe in Windows command files.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@DaveK 

If the plan is for major enhancements are going to be roughly every 6 months, requiring a new install, and NXcustom ( @GerritKoelewijn ) update, that is essentially twice as often as when NX had versions.  This will most likelly slow our upgrade process, since we like to spend our time designing faster cars, as opposed to reworking our install.  I was looking forward to the continious release idea, of setting up NXcustom once, having updates installed on top of the previous, and only having to tweak the custom stuff.  This would have both saved us time, and kept us closer to using the latest software, which makes Siemens marketing happy.

When you install NX1872 in a different folder than the previous base release version (in this case NX1847) and do not uninstall the old version, the NXcustom for 1847 will still start the correct version of NX.

The new NXcustom (for base release version 1872) will then be able to locate and start the NX base release version 1872.

However, when you install the new base version over the old version, the old NXcustom (1847) will recognize that the installed version is not the expected 1847 and will not start. Reason this is built in, is to prevent NXcustom to start the wrong version and possibly corrupt, your configured environment.

This is checked in the NXcommon.bat file by comparing the value of the NX_COMPATIBLE_BASE_RELEASE_VERSION variable that is set by NX.

You are free to disable that check, but then you are running NX against a wrong configuration.

The new NXcustom for base release version 1872 should be able to start your latest installed version. 

Regards,

Gerrit Koelewijn

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

What if....

As mentioned in this thread, provide the user an installation option for parallel installation or inline where inline upgrades the current version of NX and parallel is, well, parallel or a separate installation. Options available on the installer. 

Second what if...

In MS Office, when I open some documents, the document opens read only or, more to the point, I get Enable Edit on the header. Now this has to do with protection from embedded macros and such but the point is that the file is locked until I enable editing. 

Protected View.pngProtected View

Second what if cont... If I open a part in NX1872 and the part was last saved in NX11, NX automatically treats the file as Read Only or in a Protected View of sorts. This should be a customer default for those whos upgrade is wholesale and everyone is moved up and maintained on the same version of NX. Opening read only parts and having to enable edits for every part would be annoying and you'd get much griping. For job shops or anyone wishing to run multiple versions of the code, this approach could be a project savior. I have personnaly ruined customer data by saving in the incorrect version forcing me to pull from a backup and redo the work. Easy mistake when running multiple versions especially when you get lazy and just double-click the .prt file to open it and start working. 

Now I know I can go to Menu > Help > About NX and get...

SavedParts.pngHelp > About NX

Other than this bit of information, I'm blind and cannot see that I'm saving to a newer version of NX. I could even see enabling a nag message telling me: "You are attempting to save xxxxxxx.prt in a newer version of NX than the last known save." 

Everyone has seen the opposite message:

Versions.pngPart file is from a newer version of NX than this one.

Best,

Matt Martin

AppliedCAx

Phenom
Phenom

@martinm,

You made a very clear proposal of what could be done when working/testing 2 non-reverse compatible NX versions.

Yesterday I found out I had saved one part as NX1872 in an NX1867 assembly. I only realised when it was too late; opening the assembly in NX1867 and finding out one part was missing because of its newer version level.

Tools/workflows like you mentioned/proposed can be very useful when you're still in a testing phase. Nagging questions about the software level of a part should be driven by a customer default setting. so everybody is happy.

Thanks for your input!

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX1867 Mach Designer
on Win10 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Phenom
Phenom

@frank_nx wrote:

@martinm,

You made a very clear proposal of what could be done when working/testing 2 non-reverse compatible NX versions.

Yesterday I found out I had saved one part as NX1872 in an NX1867 assembly. I only realised when it was too late; opening the assembly in NX1867 and finding out one part was missing because of its newer version level.

Tools/workflows like you mentioned/proposed can be very useful when you're still in a testing phase. Nagging questions about the software level of a part should be driven by a customer default setting. so everybody is happy.

Thanks for your input!

Hi @frank_nx ,

I'm trying to create an environment for test NX1872, to avoid what happened to you, but NX Siemens Launcher has poor documentation, not clear and different from what was and GTAC support. I will investigate on how to create an environment NX for testing purpose.

Thank you...

Using NX1876
RuleDesigner PDM

@martinm 

May I suggest:

You submit your ideas to Siemens GTAC as IRs (presumably, to become ERs).

Then, once you have them, post the IR/ER numbers here so other users can submit "me too" ERs, if they feel your ideas are worthwhile...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks @GerritKoelewijn 

The only question I have now, and hope to be testing soon, is with 1847-1867 now...since we don't have a license file for 1872, we are going to 1867, and fresh installs go into Siemens\NX1867, not NX1847.  Hopefully the "find where NX is installed" bit of code takes care of that Smiley Happy

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

The license files for 1872 have been generated last week, so you should be able to download them from the license section of GTAC, if they haven't arrived yet.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Legend
Legend
I got my 1872 license file from the Gtac site on Monday. I probably wont use 1872 anytime soon but I wanted to have IT update the server and license file anyways.
Rob Newcomb, Design and Engineering manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2020.0
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro