Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX often crashes with message: "A newer version of this part is available....."

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello community,

can I make NX 10 stop always looking for newer versions available?

We are a small group of engineers and we can take care of the up-to-dateness or our parts.

At the moment we often have that message and we cannot continue working. NX gets in a loop showing this message endlessly. We can "Hit OK to continue" but we get this message again and again. We have to terminate the NX process via task manager losing some of our work.

And anyway, there are occasions when I want to change a part (temporarily) despite of knowing my collegue has changed it already on the disk.

We don't want to use team center because it is not suitable for our small group.

many thanks for your reply.

7 REPLIES

Re: NX often crashes with message: "A newer version of this part is available....."

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi,
message is self-explanatory. The part you have loaded was saved in another instance of NX or by your co-worker. So you should implement a consistent workflow (so that no one would be opening and editing and saving already open parts) or start using some sort of PDM solution which would have a check-out/check-in feature.
Or just deal with it and do what message tells you - Close and Re-open, simple as that, no need to kill NX progress. And yes, you will lose you progress, cause as much as I remember NX will not allow you to overwrite such parts. Save As... is an option too. Make Unique is probably too.

Re: NX often crashes with message: "A newer version of this part is available....."

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. My question, however,  is whether I can make NX not saying that. I just want to look at a part, I want to navigate up or down the part navigator tree. I want to try something. 

In every windows application documents can be opened by more than just one person. Just the person who opened the it first has write access, what is ok.

We know that we cannot overwrite somebody else's part.

And yes, we need to terminate NX process.  As I wrote, NX doesn't let me do anything more than "Hit OK"

It is a bug! Only option is to close that process.

Do you want me to make a video demonstrating that? I can hit ok as often as I want. I cannot save my other parts anymore nor can I do anything else.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I just did this on purpose. And nothing happens, I could edit part, do just about anything, it just will not allow to save it.
Maybe its something in the settings? Did you search help / documentation? I would recomend give it a try.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
can you create a small video showing the full procedure ?

You should not need to kill the session, Should be ok by "ok".

regards,
Tomas

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I got this message again. But this time I was able to press ok.

in case I get this message with the problem that I cannot end this loop of pressing 'ok' I'll make a video.

However,

it would be so nice to get an information about which part it is that is outdated.

Because NX alway just says that one of my parts is outtated. I would just reload that very part if I only knew which one.

many thanks!

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

If you fully load the assembly from scratch then you will not see the message at all. In the assembly load options turn off the 'Use Partial Loading' toggle then load the assembly.

If a component is partially loaded, when you make it the work part or diplayed part or try to fully loaded after it is open in session then the system will attempt to load more information from disk. At that point, if there's a newer version of the part, the system will issue the message. If the part is already fully loded then the system will not refer to the data on disk at all.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Abe

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Although (I believe) it will refer back to the part on disk if it tries to save the part

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled