Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX on Mac OS

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

We have been monitoring customer use of NX on the Mac OS.

NX was first released on Mac OS starting with NX 4.0.3 in 2006. Driven by customer requests and an expectation that customers would leverage specific capabilities of the Mac OS for differentiated benefits on the Mac OS. Further expectation that the availability of NX on Mac OS will reach to a new type of customer.

Throughout these years, few customers have decided to proceed with NX on the Mac OS. Via our Blog, I am interested in roll call feedback on special advantages that you are finding on the Mac OS?

12 REPLIES

Re: NX on Mac OS

Experimenter
Experimenter

I would have to say being a former NX on Mac user who was a part of the original Beta of NX on Mac, the GUI or implementation of NX on Mac is a huge deterrent for many Mac users to using NX on a Mac. The GUI is clunky and nowhere near as nice to use as on a Windows machine. Having to use XCode just to run NX on a Mac is the biggest problem. In addition to the GUI and XCode issues, the lack of proper graphics cards/drivers on Mac OS is a huge problem. At this point, in my opinion, I question further deployments of the current state of NX on a Mac. I think Siemens needs to go back to the drawing board and write a native version of NX for Mac as opposed to trying to cram an old XCode/Linux version of NX into the Mac OS environment. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I agree with @designzguy. The nice about the mac is the consistent UI for most of the apps. Using X11 changes button functions and the result is that NX will not behave like the windows version or like a mac application.

In my experience using NX in a VM on the mac is way better. There are limits on what you can handle but it still amazes me how well this works.

Besides the UI issues there is also the lacking of simcenter and NXOpen is (of course) not available for .net.

W10 NX12.0.2.9

Thanks for your feedback and open dialog with us on any advantages that you are finding on the Mac OS. Following business review of the commercial status of NX on the Mac OS and considering the dialog on the Community Blog site, we have decided to proceed with the retirement of NX from the Mac OS.

NX 12, released in October 2017, will be the final enhancement release on the Mac OS.

NX 12 will continue to be available for the Mac OS through December 2019 with maintenance updates via the regular maintenance process.

GTAC team will continue to provide support for NX running on the Mac OS.

Thank you for your communication and your ongoing loyalty to the NX product. This business decision will allow us to devote additional resources to accelerate delivery of new functionality and solutions in the NX products.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I would agree with statements from above posts, there are alot of issues because siemens really didnt come out with a native mac verion. its only a patched togther version with some share ware add ins to make it work.

when i demo'd NX11 it worked fine, but i just purchased NX12 and its been nothing but troubles. external translators dont work, spaceball doesnt want to work consistanly inside NX. even the install process was written entirly wrong by Siemens, mainly the wrong version of X11 whiched caused several days of trying to figure out what was happening ended up having to find direction on an outside blog. SAD. 

its really a real shame they dont work on it and create a real mac version because they have been making unix versions for years and mac is based off of a version of unix. plus their graphics is much better but you can not just patch programs just to make it work , you have to create new and cotrrect software.

at this point for me unless siemens can get it working correctly I may have to go back to windows.

Not a happy customer!!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Perhaps with the announcements of NX running on Amazon App Stream recently, this could be a viable option for Mac users. The remote version of NX software would have the benefit of the same user interface that the Windows users get. I would imagine that the performance of the application would only be limited by the user's internet connection and the remote server computing power.

Yes, valid points from both posts above.

NX started on Mac OS following current development tool sets for this operating system, at that time; however, lack of commercial take up lead to an inability to make the large forward investment when graphics toolkit changed.

I understand that you've had some local assistance and are now moving forward again with NX on a go forward platform.  I hope this is the case.

Also, good point on the cloud or hosted virtual graphics as manner to serve NX sessions to local Mac OS clients.  From Connections this past week, I understand that customer who have selected this approach are quite satisfied.

Experimenter
Experimenter

GLR,

So the feedback on Cloud version of NX performance has been positive? What kinds of files sizes are the customers who have used this service/version of NX using with the service? Does this service also cover all of the NX modules/Nastran packages for all clients needs? Also what is the recommended network connection speeds for optimal Cloud NX performance that is comparable to Native installations of NX? 

I am wondering if Siemensn will start to offer a rental option for the cloud NX version of NX for customers.

Highlighted

Hi designzguy

Yes, performance feedback was positive.  Note that my sample size of discussion was small and occurred last week at the Connections user conference in Phoenix.  The only issue I heard was some challenges with the 3D space ball connection to NX.  I heard wired 3D space balls worked fine, and the wireless with NX sometimes dropped. 

Sorry, I didn't gather metrics to answer the more specific technical questions you ask on filesize and performance.  Now I wish I had!  Need to look into this further and publish something

Today, NX does have an option for subscription license/price as well as perpetual.

George

NX Design

Creator
Creator

It's sad to see NX mac development being abandoned.  but then again, if a mac-native version of NX that performs wonderfully was offered, I'd be very interested!

Where were the links to buy a license should I want to buy this last version of NX 12 on mac, or continuing versions on windows?        I am interested in the solid modeling/CAE modules.