Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX point feature display

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Experts,

Is there option in NX to change the display of points/point sets? One of our customer wants to show different representation each set of points.

Thanks and regards

Sangamesh Andoor

9 REPLIES

Re: NX point feature display

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Sangamesh,

NX currently does not have this capability.  Enhancement Request (ER) 2066749 was submitted requesting the ability to modify the display of a point.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the update. This enhancement request looks old.May be I need push customer to submit a ER for this again. A year back I heard they are planning this enhancement to be added in NX12. I did checked in NX12.0.1 also. Customer wants this enhancement to show different type of fasteners representation so that they can distinguish between them by type/size. They show fastener locations in assembly drawings as point represetantations and then they place custom symbols to at all the fasterner locations which is time consuming activity. Customer says this same capability exists in Catia and hence saves time for them.

May be Syncrofit has this capability but as of know this aerospace customer does not use any specific tool for fastener data management. 

Thanks and regards

Sangamesh Andoor

Legend
Legend

You can submit an IR and request to be added to the existing ER, I think...

NX does produce different types of points with its SPot Weld wizard, 3T welds are is a 3 line point, 2T is a regular point.

I don't have the wizard, but I get weld files from our customers who use it. Maybe with the wizard, your customer can customize that way?

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX12.0.1.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom
This enhancement request looks old.  Maybe I need push customer to submit a ER for this again.

Old yes, but sill open.  Open a new IR with GTAC and refer to the existing ER.

You can submit an IR and request to be added to the existing ER, I think...

Correct.  The GTAC Support Engineer will link the new ER to the "master" ER.

I contacted the Product Manager that was assigned the original ER.

He stated that there's nothing currently planned (regarding the ability to change the display of points).

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

If I may toss this in the mix, since I have had requests for an alternative point display.  If you look at the "NX Reference Point Cloud View " in NX 11+, the points are just dots.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/Reference-Point-Cloud-in-NX...

If those were displayed as the +, things would look "fuzzy", so Siemens has product that displays a different point style, now if they could just "connect the dots" Smiley Happy

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom

One Point enhancement that you may already have found, that was added to NX 11, is the ability to increase the size of a Point.  "Preferences > Visualization > Handles/Points tab > Handle/Point size".

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Sangamesh

One idea is that you could create a custom symbol for each representation they want then you could add the required custom symbol type to the specific point set. I know it's a workaround but with a simple automation program it maybe a good solution.

2018-06-07 16_42_17-Greenshot.pngCustom Symbol on pointRegards

Paul

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

another option...

In all your fastener components, create the "point" representation you want for that component type.  Put it in a separate reference set (e.g. "Point")

The after placing the fasteners, convert their references sets to "POINT" (or whatever you call it).

Note that the representation in the assembly would either be a 3D object, or 2D data in the orientation of the component (I don't think you can get a 2D representation that would rotate with the view)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom
Would changing the color of the points be a suitable solution? You can add each set of points to distinct groups and "right mouse click > Edit Display" on the group to change the color of the contents of that group. In a similar way you can edit the display and change the color of individual point sets (or multi-selected point sets).

Regards, Ben