Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX running with Displaylink software

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hei,

We are having issues running NX on 2 screens using the DisplayLink software.

The monitors with DisplayLink technology built in is connected to the laptop using USB. Via this software keyboard, mouse, network and display are arranged via this single USB connection.

However when connecting a second monitor to your laptop with for example a displayport connection, the NX performance on 1 monitor (the one connected with USB) because very bad.

We are current testing with NX9 and the latest DisplayLink software, still with negative results.

If you have any experience here, please let me know.

Regards,

Maarten Romers

ASML

the Netherlands

7 REPLIES

Re: NX running with Displaylink software

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
Have you raised your concerns with DisplayLink's support team?
http://support.displaylink.com/

Regards, Ben

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

I have seen quite negative things using these "USB-Docks" ( which I think it is we are talking about)
 It seems ( I think) the display link includes a virtual graphics adapter. This is probably ok if your application is MS/Excel but not NX.

We have therefore reverted back to (buying) traditional laptop docks. - No new USB-docks for NX users.

- The NX logfile will when running on one of these have quite confusing information about the graphics adapter in use.

Regards,

Tomas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

We have a few conference rooms with a similar docking station. Plugging in a single USB connection drives the keyboard, mouse, spaceball, and dual monitors (not 4k monitors). I occasionally use them and have not noticed any significant performance hits.

Phenom
Phenom

You mentioned that you are using a DisplayPort and then USB. Any chance your monitor has dual DisplayPort ports. That way you just daisy-chain your monitors (Dell U2415)? DisplayPort handles multiple signals so no need for multiple cables leaving the laptop. V__0649.jpg

Pioneer
Pioneer

Jep,

We are running these on our Flexible Workplaces.

1 HP monitor with the displaylink software, has al the usb devices connected like keyboard, mouse and spaceball and network.

Connected with the laptop using USB. 2nd monitor connected directly to laptop using displayport.

When laptop lid is closed, poor graphical NX performance on Monitor with displaylink software (so the one connected to laptop using usb)

When laptop lid is closed, good graphical NX performance on Monitor connected to the laptop with displayport cable

When laptop lid open, so laptop used as a 3rd monitor, poor graphical NX performance on the monitor connected with displayport cable

When there is just 1 monitor connected, so only the DisplayLink monitor, performance is good however when you open the lid of the laptop and use the laptop display as 2nd monitor, performance on the Monitor is poor.

When switching Windows Aero themes to basic windows settings, all is ok!

We used latest nvidea driver for laptop and also latest displaylink software.

Regards,

Maarten

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Also, make sure that the laptop is forced to use the Graphics adapter for NX and not the integrated graphics. We are in a "constant fight" against Nividia Optimus, the idea is good, to save power the laptop disables the Nvidia graphics adapter and instead uses integrated graphics. NX however does not run well in that mode. If possible we disable the Nvidia Optimus in the Bios for the NX users. ( some Bios versions does not include that option)
If not possible we set in the Nvidia Control Panel ...that NX always shall use the Nvidia graphics.

Regards,
Tomas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I find it interesting that when (in devices) you disable the Intel graphics, the NVidia Control Panel (right-click on display -> NVidia Control Panel ) complains "You are not currently using a display atached to an NVIDIA GPU"

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled