Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX10: NPTF tapped hole?

Legend
Legend

We're making a replacement part for one of our old hydraulic presses.

We've determined the threaded hole is a 1 1/4 NPTF thread and from what I can find its a tapered pilot hole.

I don't see a NPTF option on the pulldown, one chart i have suggests preping the hole with a tapered reamer. others say use the same tap drill as NPT

any suggestions?

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX12.0.1.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro
3 REPLIES

Re: NX10: NPTF tapped hole?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Whether or not you put the taper in before the threads depends on the HP of your machine - if it can drive the NPTH tap without taper being there, you don't need it.

Although with this size thread I'd seriously consider reaming the taper in (or using a tapered end mill to mill it) anyhow, so the tap doesn't have to cut so much.

And you might want to consider thread milling the threads.

As far as actual values (i.e. upper dia or tap drill) to use, I don't know tapered threads well enough to offer anything.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Going to be hand tapping it.

I'll just have to model it in and z-level cut the taper. I found a diagram of it on one of those posters the tooling suppliers give out.

Is it that rare that wit wouldn't be included in the Hole functions threading option?

did one simaler last week without tapering it... it was rough

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX12.0.1.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

What - no "breaker bar" on those wrenches? :-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled