Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX10: Ray Traced Studio

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I recall seeing a demo for the NX10 preview release. The speaker was talking about having the capability in NX 10 Ray Traced Studio to utilize the processing power from multiple computers on your network in order to enable a faster real time ray traced rendering. Does anyone know if this has been enabled in NX10? If so how can the user take advantage of multiple processors on the network to enable the faster real time ray tracing?

Michael Pinto | Designer
NX11|Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit|HP Z-Book Studio G3 Workstation|Intel XEON E3-1505M|32GB Ram|Nvidia Quadro M1000m w/4GB
8 REPLIES

Re: NX10: Ray Traced Studio

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Michael,

as far as I remember the NX 10 presentation on the PLM Europe 2014  correctly, I have also recognized that it should be possible to utilize multiple render workstations as supporting machines for photorealistic image generation. I'm also interested to get more about this parallel render sourcing across multiple machines. But up to now I also did not find infomation and hints to get forward in this direction. No doubt, the Implementation of NVIDIA's Iray technology inside NX 10 via the Lightworks Design Ltd. Iray+ Interface is even impressive on a single workstation.I'm running a multi CPU machine and all CPU's and a portion of the single GPU NVIDIA K2000 device became occuppied by a RTS render task. Maybe the parallel capability requires special NVIDIA multi GPU Cuda enabled an equipped workstation?

I would appreciate if you will share your information in this topic if you will get more.

regards

Matthias Ahrens

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Michael,

Hi Matthias,

Thanks for your interest in NX Ray Traced Studio.

To clarify, NX 10 Ray Traced Studio is based on Lightworks LADS rendering engine which utilizes local CPUs with GPU acceleration, but  doesn’t support network rendering.   

The portion of the PLM Connection Europe 2014 presentation you’re referring to was a demonstration of NX Ray Traced Studio rendering based on Lightworks Iray+ rendering engine.  Iray+ supports network rendering in general and in the demo was specifically using an off-site cluster of NVIDIA Visual Computing Appliances (VCAs).  Each NVIDIA VCA holds 8 high-end GPUs.  NX Iray+ Ray Traced Studio with network rendering support is slated for a future but as yet undefined version of NX.

Patti Longwinter | NX Product Manager
Visualization
Digital Factory Division
Siemens PLM Software Inc.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Patti,

Thank's for clarifying this topic. It seems, that I had understood the Iray+ interface implementation in the wrong direction.

Regards

Matthias

Phenom
Phenom

@MAhrens wrote:

Hello Patti,

Thank's for clarifying this topic. It seems, that I had understood the Iray+ interface implementation in the wrong direction.

Regards

Matthias

We have the photo license, but the result, the interface and the speed of NX render tool is poor.

We have decided to buy https://www.keyshot.com/

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello,

Maybe I have misunderstood the utilized rendering engine in NX. But nevertheless I’m impressed by the new Ray Traced Studio function in NX 10. Especially for the fast design reviews it offers totally new opportunities to our CAD staff. By it’ s multiple CPU/GPU usage and the operation in parallel to my active design windows, I get relevant photorealistic product images very fast.
This is a significant improvement in reference to our current NX 7.5. Now I’m starting to discover, how I can improve our background rendering process for product images, which we use in our web catalog later on. Up to now I’m running the High-Quality-Image batch process. Maybe I can move it into another render option in future or adopt the Ray Traced Studio process?

Regards

Matthias

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

How is Keyshot working for you compared to the New NX10 ray trace studio?  We are looking at a keyshot.  

Phenom
Phenom

@sdeters wrote:

How is Keyshot working for you compared to the New NX10 ray trace studio?  We are looking at a keyshot.  

There are lots of differences.

- Interface is clear and simple to understand in Keyshot

- Apply material, edit mateial and scene is simple

- Lots of materials

- Speed and quality in Keyshot is not paragonable to NX 10 tray studio

If you need to do photorendering, buy a Keyshot license.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Great feedback,  Thanks for this.