Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 Assembly constraints: Give component(s) freedom to move until it collides with another surface?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Simply put, I'm designing a hinge mechanism that has some "slop" built into it by way of a pressed in limit pin that can collide with the surface of an oversized hole. The distance from the pin to the collision wall will vary, depending on the direction of travel and position in the stroke. 

Does NX have a built in assembly constraint that will allow a component freedom to move freely until two surfaces collide? I've been using a variety of constraints to check the assembly in an iterative way, but it's not how the assembly will work in the "real world". 

Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated. I attached a basic illustration to show the concept of what I'm trying to achieve.

2019-05-10 11_44_16-NX 11 - Modeling - [c71m301a700000_01.prt (Modified, Read Only)    (!)].png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: NX11 Assembly constraints: Give component(s) freedom to move until it collides with another surf

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

There is a Collision Detection in Move Component. Have you tried that?

Re: NX11 Assembly constraints: Give component(s) freedom to move until it collides with another surf

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yeah, but I'm not looking to bind/stop the components upon collision. The intended oporation is to collide, and then drag the pin with the walls contacting. If the rotation is reversed, then it's to move freely until it collides the opposite wall, and drag the pin in that direction. (if that makes sense)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can set limits on an angular constraint:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/nx_help/#uid:xid1128417:index_assemblies:id66...

That's probably the best you'll get with NX 11. NX 12 and above add some new constraint types, but I'm not sure any of the new constraints are directly applicable to your situation.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

IMO (Others may disagree) the intent of assembly constraints is there is a FIXED relationship.

This is more of a "mechanism simulation" sort of problem.

If you don't want to use mechanisms, you have a couple options you might want to investigate:

- Assembly arrangements

- use expressions / interpart expressions to drive the angular constraint (Have a "master" expression you edit, and the rest figure out what is going on & set the angular constraint to the "correct" value)

- (sort of "out there", not sure if it is even applicable) use deformable components?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled