Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 Bad quality of shaded view in PDF

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi everyone,

we are trying to implement QR labels for the different models of our circuit breaker. I have modelled a label as a 3D object and now I am trying to create a drawing of it and export it in PDF. I have used the "Assign Feature Color" command in order to make my label black and white. In order for the colors to appear on the drawing I made the view Fully shaded. The problem is that when I export to PDF the quality of the shaded view is really bad. Does anyone have perhaps any suggestions on how to solve this?

11 REPLIES

Re: NX11 Bad quality of shaded view in PDF

Legend
Legend

What is your Image Resolution set to? Set it to High.

Experimenter
Experimenter
It is already in high

Legend
Legend

What is your Shaded Tolrnace set to?

Experimenter
Experimenter
Standard. I have experimented also with the other values but the result is the same

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

This is what I found when I had similar problems once:

For the jagged shading change the setting Image Resolution=High, That should give an acceptable quality.
This setting can also be set in the customer defaults under :
Gateway > Plotting > Darfting tab ..
Image resolution for Shaded Views = High
Check also for following setting:
- Gateway > Printing (Windows Only) > Darfting tab ..
- Gateway > PDF export > Darfting tab ..
- Gateway > CGM Esport > Darfting tab ..

Maybe the PDF export settings also need to be checked.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

I'm seeing the same issue and having development take a look.  One solution (workaround?) I found was to use "File Export > PNG" of the shaded QR code in modeling and then use "File > Insert > Image" to add the PNG as an image to the drawing sheet.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Ben thanks for the workaround. The problem is that when I try to create a detailed view that includes the image, the image doesn't appear in it. Also, when I import the image in 3D model and the create a detailed view, the image appeares whole instead of trimmed.

Hi @ntzortfo

Ahh, now I understand.  The QR code is on the breaker itself, right?  Unfortunately your only option will be to set the quality to high when exporting as a PDF - it's a limitation with CGM and you'll see the same anomalies if you view your drawing using the CGM Viewer from the Advanced Plot dialog.  That said, is the problem that your QR pattern is not filled in correctly?  I've seen QR codes that don't have to be completely filled, nor does the pattern need to have sharp corners, however, your patten appears to be missing a lot of color.  Here's my modeled QR compared to what you posted:

Screenshot - 1_25_2018 , 7_40_14 AM.png

I wonder if yours looks like this because its sitting on a surface.  You see similar effects in modeling when you have two different colored surfaces interfering - the colors bleed through.  Have you tried offsetting the QR from the surface of the breaker by a nominal amount?

BTW, this what mine looks like when I export PDF with quality set to high:

Screenshot - 1_25_2018 , 7_43_51 AM.png

It's not as bad as a what it looks like in the CGM viewer:

Screenshot - 1_25_2018 , 7_44_58 AM.png

That said, the QR still works, even though you can clearly see there's a problem with it.

Hopefully offsetting the QR works for you.

Regards, Ben

What about adding the QR as a Raster Image on the face of the breaker? The image shows up in drafting, you can use it in a Detail View and it looks good in the CGM Viewer.

Screenshot - 1_25_2018 , 11_53_35 AM.png

Regards, Ben