Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 Creating a wavelink and display of Feature Name

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I did not find any topic by searching for: wavelink feature name

That was very surprising to me, therefore I opened a new one.

When I create a wavelink and want to wave a Datum Feature (like a Datum plane), I cannot see which feature I select, when more than one datum plane is at the same location or very close to another.

It only shows me several datum planes named "Datum Plane in [Part Name]", which is not helpful.

Only when I finished the feature, I see which datum plane has been picked.

I cannot understand that the feature name is present after the feature is completed, but when I create the feature, it is not shown. That's not helpful.

Is there any way to see the feature name, when I initially start the Wave Geometry Linker?

Thanks,

Ralph

6 REPLIES

Re: NX11 Creating a wavelink and display of Feature Name

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When you have models with WAVE linking to objects close or over each other it is a very good idea to give the objects names. This will then show up in the Wave Geometry Linker on selection.

Also think about using Product Interfaces. Then you can use the WAVE Interface Linker or restrict inter-part selection to only objects that are Product Interface.

Steve V

Creator
Creator

Well actually these features do have names in the original parts, but when I create the wavelink the names do not show up, only the feature type "Datum Plane" with the model name shows up, which does not help.

Siemens Phenom

WAVE-plane .png

Steve V

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

In NX, there are features and there are objects; a feature is what you see in the part navigator, an object is what you see in the graphics area. These are closely related, a feature always creates one or more objects, but the feature is not the same as the object itself (though we often think of it that way). When you wave link a datum plane into a new part file, you are linking the object, not the feature itself. A feature and an object can be given names independently. The object name will show up in the quick pick list because you are selecting an object, the related feature name does not show up there because you are not selecting the actual feature. When you hover over a datum plane in the graphics area, you may see something like "Datum Plane of Datum Plane(2)"; this is telling you it is a datum plane object that is created by feature "Datum Plane(2)". If you right click on a datum plane and choose "properties -> general", you will see entries where you can change the object or feature name.

Siemens Phenom

I see @Rago's point.  If you name your feature (e.g., Rago's Datum) in the parent part and try to WAVE link to it in another part, the feature name is not shown (just see Datum Plane in <part>).  Yet after you've linked the feature the Part Navigator shows "Linked Datum Plane(1) "Rago's Datum".

Sounds like an Enhancement Request to me.  In the interim, follow @cowski1's suggestion - to give the Datum object a name, rather than the feature.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

Many thanks to all of you, especially @cowski1 for explaining the difference between object and feature, which was not obvious to me.

As we usually name Features in the Part Navigator it would be nice if the Feature Name would be used as Object Name as well, but I guess it is not possible to set this as a standard setting for all named features, correct?

Would it be possible to run a macro or something similar on a model, which would copy the Feature Name to the Object Name?

Thanks,

Ralph