Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 Customized Crosshatch

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi Guys,

I´m a bit worried. I want to create a special crosshatch i need. And it must be slectable from the crosshatch defnition files. i got there the file xhatch.chx

is there any option how to learn how to create them, any documents?

Or is it just that simple and i did not figure it out

the files are build like this

!
NAME=Electrical Winding
ALTANG,45
SOLID
ALTANG,135
SOLID
!

I also did not find any infos at the Help which arguments are available

12 REPLIES

Re: NX11 Customized Crosshatch

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Cableguy,

Does this help: User-defined crosshatch patterns?

Regards, Ben

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Speaking of which,

Is there a way to defined curved hatches? (Not just a array of straight dashes).

Thanks,

Jack

Highlighted

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

It doesn't seem so.  But you can get creative and try to mimic your curves using straight lines to create a complex hatch pattern: Customize Crosshatch Patterns

"The concept behind creating a complex hatch pattern is not difficult, but it can be tedious and frustrating. You’ll usually find it best to draw your pattern out in different colors, one per line specification, and then dimension it as I did in figure 3. This makes it much easier to decide which values are required where.  To put things in perspective, AutoCAD’s Escher hatch pattern requires twenty-one line specifications!"

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius
Thanks, i dont know why i did not find that myself...

Was enough for me

Hi @BenBroad

I wonder if you can help.

I need to share customised cross hatch files with all users, so I figured I should be able to do this by putting them into NX Custom.

But I've just read the help file that you mentioned, and it states:

Although the File Selection Box permits you to select any directory, the database only supports the UGII_UTIL directory or current directory for the storage of crosshatch definition files. To avoid any problems we highly recommend that you store your user-defined crosshatch definition files in the directory pointed to by the UGII_UTIL environment variable.

I'm not clear on what this means.

1. There is no browse option when selecting a cross hatch definition (re: "File Selection Box")

2. UGII_UTIL = C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX12\ugii\  - so I definitely don't want to change this.

But a couple of times the help file mentions "or Current Directory" - what does it mean by Current Directory, is this something different to UGII, and can I put the custom cross hatch files in there?

We don't want to manually add the custom cross hatch file to everyone's machine, as this would be a tedious process, also difficult to maintain and (maybe?) at risk during updates.

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance, Carl

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

We deal with this (for user defined symbols)

- copy following files (see below) from C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX12\ugii\ to somewhere in NXCustom (if it isn't already there)

- define UGII_UTIL to point to that folder.

Files:

gfemfea.uai

ug_default.sbf

*.chx (xhatch.chx and xhatch2.chx)

NX should warn you if you need anything else.

Note the above is based on NX10, I'm not sure if NX12 is any different (we haven't gotten there yet)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Hi @Ken_A

That works perfectly for the cross hatch definitions, and now NX only searches my new folder in NX Custom.

Only differences are

- NX12 (or my install anyway) has no gfemfea.uai file

- for a test I tried with and without copying the ug_default.sbf file, it seems to work fine in either case

The help file appeared to say that I shouldn't change the location of UGII_UTIL from ${UGII_BASE_DIR}\UGII

My concern was that this change would affect NX's ability to find other things in the original UGII directory.

Can you tell me, have I totally misunderstood what it's saying?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I don't know.

We've been using this since UGII v18, and it seems to work well for us...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Hi @Ken_A

Since I messaged, someone else also said it's OK to change the variable, so it looks like I did misunderstand the help!

Thanks again for your answer, much appreciated!

Have a good day, regards Carl