cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 External thread

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I am trying to do an external thread on an extruded cylinder.

Selecting the outer surface in "Thread" command does not recognize any dimensions and opens a (thread) name window. But giving a name does not do anything. The same problem when choosing symbolic or detailed thread type. My diameter is 3".

Also I cannot see  external thread command. I only see tapped drill size (i.e. internal thread).

Also if I change units to "inch" I cannot see other than "unified" option (where are UNF, UNC, UNJF, etc?).

Such a pain for such a simple action needed. I could do that in Inventor in a few clicks!

13 REPLIES

Re: NX11 External thread

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
For external thread you need to use the Thread Feature.
Can you send your part?

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Hi @S_Bachar,

For extrenal thread, Go to 'Menu > Insert > Design Feature > Thread'.

Once 'Thread' dialog is open, select the cylindrical surface, Form then required thread type from table.thread.png

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When you get the "Name window" NX asks for face,which will be the start point of the thread. so you can input the name of the face,or click on it by mouse.

thread.png

So - click on the circle face (where the arrow begins) is required.

Creator
Creator

I have exactly the same situation. And as I wrote I am using exactly the same fuction (i.e. "thread" command). When I select the surface to thread, I receive (it opens) a window which requires me to enter a name for the thread. Entering a name doesn't do anything! Also I am not sure if there are options for a 3-20 UN thread?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
As I mentioned - if you get the name window you need to select start face of the thread.
You can see the requirement in the command line left bottom corner (in the red circle). When you select the face and push Ok button, it gives you another options as a thread type and so...

Creator
Creator

OK. Wow this was not so trivial!!

I cannot find the following threads:

3 1/8 - 16 UN

2 7/8 - 20 UN

Also what diameter should I use for the shafts in order to use the thread command? Max. thread dia.? Nominal thread dia.?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What about UNJ ? There are both of them. We don´t use this threads, so I am not sure if it is the same:

inch thread.png

And about diameter - I use the max one - so for M10 it is 10mm. This causes a warning message:

"Cylindrical face diameter is in conflict with thread definition".

Or if you use the middle one, you will get the thread without warning.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I have tried several options now and the only way seems to be the warning message. So I have corrected my comment several times Smiley Very Happy

But I have one question too: Is there any way to see the thread in model even after zoom up? It usually disappears in a certain zoom.

Phenom
Phenom

There is a old feature called 'boss'. It works like a pre N5 Hole.

Try it and you will see that the diameter will fit to the thread.

Ciao