Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NX11 Invalid Selection for Extrude

Experimenter
Experimenter

So If I just import the DWG, use "Copy Existing Geom" to make a sketch, and then extrude it, it works fine. However if I scale the curves down to the appropriate size (.25) there are sorts of discontinuities. Any suggestions? I like the idea of extruding the intial sketch and then scaling that down, but I couldnt figure out how to do that without scaling my whole part. Thanks for all the input guys.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Sasquatcho,

Perhaps try a different approach?

Having used Copy Existing Geometry to make your sketch (which seems to be a valid section) use the Bounded Plane command to create a surface (requires a closed section).  You can then scale this surface and use it to drive your Extrude section.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

I found a solution! I scaled up my body to match the size of the imported DWG, used "copy existing geometry" to make the sketch, uxtruded the sketch, then scaled the body back down to normal size. Thanks for the help though everybody Smiley Happy

Creator
Creator
same issues. Its a very routine design element in almost all products and its literally a 2 minute process in SolidWorks, Pro/E-Creo, and Fusion360. All three will actually import the native .AI file with the newer releases over the past few years...yet the power of this system seems to be lacking some really fundamental elements that industrial designers need.

Glad you found the solution you did. Since i have to add my final file off to a clients engineering division I am not comfortable doing that rinky-dink solution.