Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 Iray grainy rendering issue

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I have an issue with the iray rendering ; pls refer picGrainy.jpg

Attached pic is a zoom in area of a product rendering.

Any solutions to remove the grainy artifact?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES

Re: NX11 Iray grainy rendering issue

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you are refering to the Ray Traced Studio window that is because it will keep trying to make the image better as time goes on. It starts out with pixels and refines the image as time goes on. The other thing is level at which you are rendering. As you move up to gold it takes a longer time and you have more pixels longer as it works towards the best solution.

Here is an image of the window and the gold, silver and bronze level pull down showing. Notice my is fuzzy right now also and after time it did go away.

IRay.png

Scott

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. The image is snapshot from an final rendered static image (Gold setting).

It is a polish material with refection from the environment & part geometry itself.

My rendering time limit is 5minutes , Pic size = 3000 X 2500 pixels (approximate) ; 300DPI.

My PC spec is quite minimum with i3 and 4gb RAM.

Do I need to set the render time to longer duration in order to clean out the grainy effect ?

Pls advise. 

Thanks.

jerman

Siemens Phenom

Hello @jerman,

Depending on the complexity of what is being rendered, yes it might well take much more time than the 5 minutes you have set.

Alternatively, let it continuously render, and go for a coffe break, talk to you colleagues, and check back. You should be able to see, that it's still improving the image.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Phenom

The other thing to remember is the by using the lower levels of rendering you get a good idea of what is going to happen when you move to gold. I agree that 5 minutes may not be enough time depending on things like shadows, liights, what kind of materail you are using, etc.

A good suggestion is to use bronze or even silver to get everything looking good and then set it to gold and let it run. On the top of the image it will let you know when it is done, that is, it did not time out. 

Scott

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I have try with longer rendering time approx 10 minutes ; the grainy effect became finer , but It is still there.

However , with Keyshot ; the grainy effect is not visible anymore within only 1 minutes render time.

Any other settings that can be optimized to remove the grainy look other than using longer render time ?

jermaGrainy_2.jpgGrainy_3.jpg

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

Sorry to ask you but do you encounter same issue with some other renderings (using I-ray) also....i mean apart from this part rendering.

Best Regards

Kapil

Phenom
Phenom

@jerman wrote:

Hi,

I have try with longer rendering time approx 10 minutes ; the grainy effect became finer , but It is still there.

However , with Keyshot ; the grainy effect is not visible anymore within only 1 minutes render time.

Any other settings that can be optimized to remove the grainy look other than using longer render time ?

jermaGrainy_2.jpgGrainy_3.jpg

Hi,

starting to NX8 I ask for a serious rendering inside NX like Keyshot (why Siemens doesn't buy them).

I wrote to Siemens that NX rendering is slow and not precise compared other CAD that have rendering engine not proprietary.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi @jerman,

You mentioned that the material in the image you provided is a "polished" material.  It sounds like you are seeing this behavior with any material not just the polished material.  Is that correct?

Best,

Patti

Patti Longwinter | NX Product Manager
Visualization
Digital Factory Division
Siemens PLM Software Inc.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Yes. The graininess is more obvious in polish material.

Below show comparison of Keyshot & Nx Iray in graininess in render time of 5mins & 10 mins :

Key-shot_5.jpgKeyshot -5mins (Matte Finish)Nx11_5.jpgNx iray - 5mins (Matte Finish)Key-shot_10.jpgKeyshot -10mins (Polish Finish)Nx11_10.jpgNx iray - 10mins (Polish Finish)

Nx iray required 45mins to clear out almost all the graininess  :

Nx11_45.jpgNx Iray - 45mins ( Polish Material)

Keyshot apparently perform better than Nx iray in terms of less graininess in my PC.

Below is my Iray setting :

Setting.jpgSetting_show.jpg

My PC spec :

Window 7 home premium ( 64bit)

i3-4150

4GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 750ti 2GB

My questions :

1) What is the optimum iray settings to eleminate the graininess with shorter render time ?

2) What is the optimum PC spec to run iray faster ?

Thanks.

Jerman