cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 Memory Requirements

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Aside from generic recommendation in the the Release Notes: "For Windows 7, the minimum amount of memory is 4 GB, but we recommend 8 GB or 16 GB of memory as a starting point. Large models and assemblies or running multiple processes concurrently could boost the required memory for adequate performance."  are there more specific memory requirements spelled out for NX11?

In other words, are there more concrete guidelines for determining a reliable memory configuration based on model size/complexity and/or feature use based on real world results?

10 REPLIES

Re: NX11 Memory Requirements

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

The amount of memory required will depend on what you are doing.  If you are doing machine design with assemblies of only a few hundred or thousand parts, then 4 Gb or 8 Gb would be sufficient.  If you are doing machine design with many thousand parts, then you might need 16 or 32 Gb.  If you are doing large complex FEA or CFD then you might need 32 Gb.

The best way to tell how much you need is to monitor your memory via Windows Task Manager.  If you are using close to all of your memory, then you might need more.  For example, on my system the "Physical Memory" is 32503 MB (32 Gb).  But I am only using 6.22 Gb.  If I ever see the amount of memory used getting close to 32 Gb then I would need more memory.

taskmanager.png

Rick Hebert
NX Magician
Used NX (Unigraphics) since 1984
Houston, TX, USA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Rick,

Can you speak to how to how I should or should not interpret the NX Memory Monitor versus the ugraf footprint I see in the task manager resource monitor?  These shots are from the same session with an average-sized assembly open, but idle.

memory1.PNGmemory2.PNG

I always use Task Manager to monitor NX memory usage.  You should add the "Working Set (Memory)" and "Commit Size" columns.   The Commit Size tells you how much total memory NX needs.  This is your best clue as to how much RAM your computer needs for NX.  If the Commit Size grows much bigger than the Working Set then it indicates you are swapping to disk, which is bad.  This will only occur when you start approaching the physical limit of RAM for the machine.  In your case it appears that your machine has 32 Gb.  Windows needs some of that memory, Outlook needs some, other applications need some, etc.  If your ugraf.exe process ever grows to more than 24 Gb (assuming a 32 Gb system) then you will probably start to swap to disk.    

In your case the ugraf.exe process is using slightly more than 1 Gb out of a total of 32 Gb.  If this is an average size assembly, then you definitely have enough RAM.  I would encourage you to open Task Manager and monitor the ugraf.exe process, and occasionally go to the Performance Tab to look at the "Memory" chart.  After a couple of hours or days you will have a good feel for how much memory NX and other applications are using.

Task manager 3.png

Rick Hebert
NX Magician
Houston, TX, USA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Rick, this is most helpful.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So I'm guessing this is why NX performance is particularly bad today (note when I first pulled it up the working set was 170,000 more or less):taskmgr.png

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Ken,

Those are both very small numbers:  Working Set = 219 Mb; Commit Size = 644 Mb.  If NX is slow then something else is the culprit.  

Rick Hebert
NX Magician
Houston, TX, USA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi!

Sorry if you dont mind, a general question, so the more physical RAM the better NX performs? how about graphics card how does it affect the performances of NX (loading, updating etc..)?

which should take piority ,should i have more RAM over better graphics card or better graphics over more RAM

can also can you tell me more about about the information below found on the system info in NX help?

most appreciated!

Jasons

Capture4.JPG

Jason,

The statement "so the more physical RAM the better NX performs?" has some caveats.  The amount of memory NX needs will vary depending on what you are doing.  If you are designing small parts and assemblies, you don't need much memory.  If you are working on a car or airplane and you need to open the entire car or airplane then you need more memory.

Suppose, for example, that you are working on a 10,000 part assembly and your NX session needs 8 Gb of Memory (monitor the ugraf.exe process, the "Commit Size" value as discussed in my previous response). Windows and other processes need about 4 to 8 Gb of memory, so in total your machine will need 16 Gb of memory.  If you add more, then it doesn't help.  If you have less, then it definitely hurts.  If your machine has 32 Gb, or 64 Gb, or 128 Gb, or whatever, it won't matter because NX isn't using it.

The same is true for grahics cards.  If you are working on small parts and assemblies, then a $500 graphics card is fine.  However, if you pull up an entire airplane then you definitely want a higher end graphics card.

The trade-off between memory and graphics card is also a balance.  It is impossible to make recomendations without knowing a lot more details.  If this is an issue for you, then contact your Siemens PLM representative, or your Reseller and they can work with you on sizing your computers to fit your needs.

Your screen shot tells you information about your system (installed memory, Windows version, CPU type, etc.).  One key piece of information is the "Maximum Memory Allocated: 152 Mb".  Your total memory in your machine is 16 Gb.  Assuming that Windows and other processes will use 6 Gb, then you can assume that NX can safely use 10 Gb, but you are only using .152 Gb (152 Mb).  Open your real files and do some real work and look at the "Maximum Memory Allocated" again.  That is the numbe you want to monitor. If it grows above 10 Gb, then you need more memory.  If it never approaches 10 Gb, then more memory will not help you.

Rick Hebert
NX Magician
Houston, TX, USA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Rick,

thank you very much

Jasons