Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

NX11 - Open Custom Tab in Specific Application

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

How to accomplish opening a custom Tab in a specific application (No Part)?  The NX11 & NX12 docs aren't very clear on how to utilize the .dtx file(s) - the example in the docs seems not quite right at all, if they're even necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7
6 REPLIES 6

Re: NX11 - Open Custom Tab in Specific Application

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @TimF,

Customize (Ctrl+1) - While creating custom tab, the application(s) can be specified for it or it can be set using the tab properties later.

Customize_Tab_Application.JPG

Gears Phenom
@GaneshKadole,

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I am wanting to know how to do this via .rtb files hence the reference to the .dtx file which is what the docs instruct to utilize. I know how to accomplish via the Customize command.

Thanks.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

See this thread:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/Custom-toolbar/m-...

Also it is in the docs (somewhere)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom
@Ken_A,

Thanks - that's what I've got. The .rtb is in the UGII_USER_DIR/application/profiles/UG_APP_NOPART folder (no groups on the tab). But the docs go on and on about a .dtx file that goes along with it - the .dtx file is .xml and the example in the docs is very limited on the exact details of how to edit the .dtx file(s) properly. When I followed the method outlined in the docs (which is in the Programming Guide) it worked but kept giving me an error message every time I started NX - something to the effect that it couldn't parse the xml role or something like that. I removed the .dtx file and all worked fine. Not really sure where the docs are going with all of that .dtx stuff.

What I'm doing is working OK so far - we'll see how it behaves across multiple states/applications.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I just put the .RTB under the proper application subfolder (...\Application\profiles\UG_APP_MODELING\ or whatever)

In the .RTB, either I directly define a button:

BUTTON Moog_BUTTON_NAME
LABEL Some text here
ACTION ${UGII_INITIAL_JOURNAL_DIR}\something.vb

Or I reference a .TBR file (copied up from NX7.5 to 10 to 12)

GROUP  XXX.tbr

Works well for me ;-)

I haven't played with all the other file types/extensions

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom

@Ken_A,

That's what I ended up figuring out via trial & error.  I tried following the docs but they do a really poor job of outlining things after putting the .rtb & any .grb or .gly files where they need to go.

Thanks for the examples - always good to post those so those new to the custom files approach can follow along a bit easier if needed.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.7