Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 PDF Export Line Weight Issues

Pioneer
Pioneer
I'm configuring NX11.0.0.33 MP2 and am having some difficulty getting proper line weights in the printed output from the PDF Export function. I'm testing by using one of our E size (Inch) drawing templates. The line work and text on this template is defined by the same 3 weights we've always used, i.e., .13mm, .18mm, and .25mm. The Print Properties tab for Colors is set to "Black on White" and the Widths option has been toggled to Custom Widths, with the same settings that worked just fine in NX8.5. These Custom Widths settings have been set to .02 for Thin, .03 for Normal, and .04 for Thick. I've changed all manner of settings for Custom Widths on the dialog, under Visualization Preferences for Pixel Widths on and off, Show Widths on and off, Monochrome on and off, etc. I've checked everything I can think of in the part settings as well as in the Site Customer Defaults. Nothing I change seems to provide me with heavier weights on the PDF file when I print it through either Adobe Pro or Reader. The same basic settings worked in NX8.5. Has anyone experienced this? I'm working with GTAC and have logged IR 8830759, but have yet to find a solution. If someone knows what knobs to turn in NX11 that have any effect, I'd love to know what to try.
Daryl Pierman
Chief CAD Designer
Rocket Shop
Aerojet Rocketdyne
6 REPLIES

Re: NX11 PDF Export Line Weight Issues

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note there are separate customer defaults for how to treat  the "legacy" widths (thin/thick/normal) to the new 9 (or whatever) line widths

Customer defaults -> Gateway -> Line widths -> conversion tab

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @pierman,

Show Widths or setting Monochrome on or off will not change any exported output.  When setting custom widths Custom Thin, Custom Normal and Custom Thick control legacy line widths the remaining custom widths define the new 9 widths.  Once legacy curves are edited in newer versions they are replaced with the corresponding width from one of the new 9 widths.  Obviously changing the physical line width will affect the exported line width.  Lines in NX are displayed using pixels - widths 1-3 are displayed using 1 pixel, 4-6 are 2 pixels and 7-9 are 3 pixes.  This can be changed in the Customer Defaults or the Visualization Preferences.  Since curves are exported as CGM when a PDF is created, use the CGM Viewer on the Advanced Plot dialog to see how geometry in your graphics display is going to be exported.  Review this thread for instructions and a test part file.  I don't believe there should be any difference between NX8.5 and NX11 (as the new line widths were introduced in NX8.5).

Regards, Ben

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Daryl,

You only mention 3 widths in your post, yet you should be seeing 12 definitions when you select the Define Widths button in the Export PDF dialog I'd have thought (or in the customer defaults - PDF export section). Attached is what I have set - which effectively equates to only three distinct plotted outputs for all of the possible linewidths (legacy and new). You've said it's an inch drawing template you are playing with, but then you mention metric widths so I'm confused if the 0.02, 0.03 & 0.04 plotting width settings are inch or metric values. If inch, then not sure what to offer, if metric then I expect that's the problem.

Regards,

Geoff Donohoo

NX10.0.3.5 & TC 10.1.4.2
Dell T3600 32Gb Ram, Nvidia Quadro 4000
Windows 7

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks for the NX 11.0.1.11 test part, Ben. I opened it in my installed version, NX 11.0.0.33 MP2 and without changing anything, exported out 2 PDFs. One with Standard Widths set in the Print Properties tab on the Export PDF dialog, and the next one set with Custom Widths. I've attached both for your viewing pleasure. As you'll see, there seems to be a problem in this version of NX. As I've mentioned before, I tweaked every setting I knew about and nothing made a difference. Your test part's printed output from PDF Export looks exactly like every example I've tried using my own geometry, everything is too thin. The output from File -> Plot on your part, as well as all of mine, looks correct, as do all examples opened in the CGM Viewer, so maybe there's an issue with the cgm2pdf utility. We work in Inches and your test part was metric, but even though that shouldn't make a difference, I'll check to see if Units makes any contribution in a part converted from one of my templates. All of my geometry is new, there are no legacy width definitions within it. I've hacked so many changes into my Site Defaults and made new test parts, I'm no longer sure what state anything is in. Can you tell me if the width definitions you have defined in this test part are the same as the OOTB installed settings? Can I also assume that you typically still use .13mm, .18mm, and .25mm width definitions to represent the traditional Thin, Normal, and Thick weights? Looks like I need to get a newer version of NX installed to continue testing. Thanks for your help, Ben.
Daryl Pierman
Chief CAD Designer
Rocket Shop
Aerojet Rocketdyne

Siemens Phenom

Hi @pierman,

Yes these were OOTB settings for everything.  The legacy (traditional) curves were created in NX7.5 using the OOTB values for that version, I have not touched these in NX11, so NX still sees them as legacy curves and uses the Custom Thin, Normal and Thick width settings for these curves.  I doub't that you'll see any differences between inch and metric files.

I just printed the display (File > Print) and the widths were printed per "Customer Defaults > Gateway > Printing > General" (see attached - though this was a scan of the print as I can't print to PDF).  The legacy curves printed at different scale factors (1, 2 and 3).  Of the 9 new lines, the first 4 plotted at a scale factor of 1, the next two at a scale factor of 2 and the remaining three at a scale factor of 3.

The Scale Factors in the Customer Defaults are different between NX8.5 and NX11 (in NX8.5 they incremented by 1 for each of the 9 widths. Since NX10 the factors are the same for every couple of widths.

One of my team mentioned that they had a similar issue reported - that all lines were the same width when printing.  Hitting the Reset icon on the top right of the Print dialog resolved their issue.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom
Just for giggles, check to see if you have UGII_PDF_LINE_WIDTH=pixel set in your environment.

Regards, Ben