Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 - drainage simulation for dip processes

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I'm currently designing a process for painting several suspension components in a dip-based paint line. The parts I have to paint have complex geometry, and because of this it is sometimes difficult to find an orientation which avoids process liquids pooling on the parts, and therefore being transferred to the next stage where it might react with another chemical.

My question: to help me predict where pooling will occur in a given orientation of part, is there a tool within NX11 that is capable of highlighting areas with little or no drainage? I would imagine such a tool using a defined gravitational direction and colouring the part faces based on draining properties.

Many thanks,

Alex

2 REPLIES 2

Re: NX11 - drainage simulation for dip processes

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It's no simulation, but face slope analysis might provide a decent starting point. You specify a vector direction and it colors the faces according to the angle it makes with the vector. In the image shown in the help page, I'd expect the yellowish side faces to drain quickly and the pinkish top faces to drain more slowly. There's a potential issue in the "scooped" out section, the green/yellow faces that are nearly vertical will drain down the blend face and end up on a nearly horizontal pink face.

Re: NX11 - drainage simulation for dip processes

Genius
Genius

Thanks cowski - this is exactly the function what I was looking for.

Much appreciated!