Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 is is possible to re-form and reuse a decals or a JPEG image.. ? with the flattening command

Pioneer
Pioneer

I was wondering if it is possible to actually wrap a decal or an image that I would apply on a flatten developmement of a complex shape and wrap it back after on it s original shape... I know it is possible to do it with a sketch..

6 REPLIES

Re: NX11 is is possible to re-form and reuse a decals or a JPEG image.. ? with the flattening comman

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi, The simple answer is no, you can only reform edges, curves or points. You can apply decals directly to the formed face however.

Regards

Paul

Re: NX11 is is possible to re-form and reuse a decals or a JPEG image.. ? with the flattening comman

Siemens Legend

It should be possible by using the Metaform Feature. 
 Sadly that feature is tricky to use and poorly documented.
I think that the guys who know all the details of it are browsing this forum.

Can you upload an example ?

Regards,

Tomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I am a bit sceptic that metaform will work on decals/images (it works on sheets majorly).

I will second Paul suggestion of applying the decal on deformed body instead.

One query from my side is (sorry i might be missing the reason behind it) ...the need of applying the decal on flattenned body?

Best Regards

Kapil

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi ! the reason behind having a flat decals, is being able to get all the design/graphic deformation prior to wrap it around whatever weird shape you want (ex: a yogourt container with graphic all around) So if I was able to have ma actual flatten area and than design a decal ON that flat pre-deform/flatten shape and wrap it back in place it would be much easier. design wise and also as presentation purposes in rendered images it would be way more realistic.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We have wanted to do the same thing with the race car livery.  Sometimes when you print the art to a wrap from a flat drawing, it does not translate like the artist expected, over the curved body.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Legend

Yes, i misunderstood the question, The question is about decals/ images and that doesn't Metaform handle.
 But, If you can trim a sheet body to the outline of the decal / Paint mask, you can use the metaform feature to wrap / unwrap.

Regards,

Tomas