Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 render materials for interiors

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi,

in NX11 I cannot find the library with architectural materials, which was available in NX10. Is it something I must now manually install? Or is there any other library with such materials (stone, ceramic tiles, fabrics etc, I need it for boat interiors). I cannot see any of them in NX11 System Studio materials library. Below is the library I am looking for: in NX10 it used to become available after selecting 'Materials/texture editor in Advanced studio. I have uploaded the image of what I am looking for.

Thank you

9 REPLIES

Re: NX11 render materials for interiors

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The entire way materails are defined was changed in NX to account for the use of IRAY+ on NX 11. Here is an atricle about materails in older versions on NX and what needs to be done to convert them. 

Material Conversion

There is also a good set of new materails that can be used. 

Scott

Solution Partner Genius

Thank you Scott, your tip is good for canned System Studio materials that I may have edited (you can see the snapshot of the list below on the left). I could not apply the same process with the materials of the additional NX Materials Library (below on the right): they are not material that I added, they were additional system materials, part of an additional Nx library. I cannot find this library anymore in NX11, so I cannot convert the materials

render system mat.jpgrender archive materilas.jpg

Siemens Phenom

In NX 11 the material have been redone and some of the supplied libraries have changed. We are working to be able to import other material via MDL, material definition langauge, in the near future. 

Here is the section that talks about it.

NX 11 Materials

Scott

Solution Partner Genius

Thank you very much, I'll be waiting for them.

In the meanwhile I will start from the supplied materials and 'transform' them into stone (sandstone) and marble! Smiley Happy

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Scott,

you wrote that in near future there will be a possibility to import mdl-materials (for example delivered by nvidia) into NX 11.
Ist this near future NOW? Smiley Happy

Thanks for your answer in advance

Kind regards, Martin

Siemens Phenom

Sorry not yet, but some new materails have been added in NX 12.

NX 12 New Materails

Scott

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Scott

thanks for your answer, even it´s not that what i expected to read Smiley Wink

Whe hoped to make our Renderings in NX 11 that are now made in KeyShot.

The flexibility to make your own materials and textures till NX 10 had been a chance to make this change.

Even the few materials in NX 12 are not enough arguments to swap to NX-Rendering from KeyShot Smiley Sad

Kind regards, Martin

Experimenter
Experimenter

Found this article with a summary of information about Rendering in NX and Iray+ Smiley Happy

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/Rendering-amp-Visualization...

Solution Partner Genius

The article is really interesting. Besides, looking in Nvidia website (http://www.nvidia.com/object/material-definition-language.html)  it seems that MDL Material Exchange is possible with NX. I have not tried yet.

MDL MAT.png