Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX11 sketch differences

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We just noticed that when creating a new sketch, the dialog differs, based on how you start it.

If I go to "Sketch in Task Enviornment" first, it look like this, and picking the horizontal direction is complicated.

SketchFirst.JPG

If we select the plane first, then click "Sketch in Task Enviornment", it looks like the more traditional, NX9 in our case, dialog, and it's easy to establish the X vector.

PlaneFirst.JPG

Obvious first question, is why?  and second, using method 1, what is the quickest way to establish the plane, and horizontal vector?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
8 REPLIES

Re: NX11 sketch differences

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
In previous versions, if the Plane Method was set to Inferred, and a plane was selected, the Sketch Orientation and Sketch Origin were also inferred (you can see this by expanding the blocks of the dialog), OK was available and you can create the sketch.
The first dialog you show condenses everything for an "Inferred" state - i.e., everything has been defined based on the selected plane. If you want to make changes beyond the Inferred method then change the Plane Method to "New Plane". You'll see the options that your second image shows, where your plane is already defined and you can complete the remaining requirements.
Similarly, with your second image, if having initially selected a Datum Plane you can then change Plane Method to Inferred - OK becomes available and you can create the sketch. Alternatively, if you select a Datum CSYS rather than a Datum Plane then you'll enter straight into the STE.
It looks like intelligence was added to the dialog to change its state based on context.

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom

So "New Plane" isn't going to create a new plane, which is what we all thought when saw that option, ie "I already have a plane, I don't need a new one"

The only thing about inferred, is that it infers exactly what I don't want, 90% of the time Smiley Happy

-Dave

Siemens Phenom

The "Creating and reusing sketches" page of the What's new in NX11 mentions the enhancement to the dialog.

So "New Plane" isn't going to create a new plane
I wondered that too, so I checked...  In my simple example I don't see an additional Datum Plane in the MNT, and right clicking the new sketch in the MNT does not show "Make datums external".  I also noticed that the Customer Default "Create Intermediate Datum CSYS through Create Sketch Dialog" is no longer an option - so I wonder if these are no longer exposed to the user?

Gears Phenom

So, is there anyway to have it default to "new plane", instead of infer?  I have not found it, if it exists.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom
I wondered that too Smiley Happy
I could not find any Customer Defaults or Preferences and dialog memory does not retain the last selected Plane Method.

Experimenter
Experimenter

DaveK, this issue too bothers me.  I probably have to change the plane method to New Plane probably 100 times a day and it is just wasted time.  I think you are being generous when you say that it infers what you don't want about 90% of the time.  In fact almost the only time it infers what I want is when I am creating a sketch on a Datum CSYS and selection the origin.

My fix was just to create a macro where I select New Plane and then make my own user command to run the macro.  Works ok so far.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the good explanation Ben, this was getting on my nerves too.

I'd say a high percentage of sketches (most after the first one) need a new origin and orientation, so this does seem an odd change, but not to worry at least I understand how to do it now.

Genius
Genius

I'm using 11.0.2 and Sketch in Task always remembers the last selected Plane Method.