Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX12 Assembly Constraints Function Removed?

Builder
Builder
Hi All
In NX 12 i am frustrated how the Assembly Constraint function has been removed from the right click diologue box. Now you have to go up to the ribbon bar to get it each time!!! Why?????? Its anoying.
NX12.0.2.9 Win10 64bit, Tecnomatix PS V14.1.
13 REPLIES 13

Re: NX12 Assembly Constraints Function Removed?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @pcsapai,

This is the designed behaviour. You can customize and add it to radial pop up or qucik access toolbar.

There were some PR's reported for it and following is the response from devlopement

"The problem where Assembly Constraints is missing from the Component Select popup menu has been investigated and the following has been found.
Offering the constraints command on a selected component is a leftover from mating conditions, which used to support object action. For mating conditions this really worked because the mating conditions were directional and you could really edit the mating conditions that we used to position a selected component. For assembly constraints this does not work, it starts the command and then dismisses the selection.
I made the change in the Add Component Project to use this rare spot on the radial menu to add a command that does support object action.
The user can always customize the UI so it shows what they prefer."

Highlighted

Builder
Builder
I am not sure what the PR number was here but if you can pass it along i would apreciate it.

This is the largest load of crap i have heard for a response. Who ever is feeding it needs to have a talking to. This feature worked just fine in NX11 and NX10 and since Assembly Constraints were introduced in NX5 or near that release. I dont buy it, i dont except it. It slows you down big time to go ribbon bar and i want it fixed.

Please send the PR/IR number.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Master PR 9048751: "Assembly Constraint Removed from graphics right click menu".

Builder
Builder
@BenBroad. Thank u

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello, 

How does this PR number helps?

How can i have my Assembly costraits back to right click menu?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Builder
Builder

Hi The PR does not help. I received a response they have zero interest in bringing back this function in to the right click menu.

They recomended we make a new ER (Enhancement request) which is total BS. Why would we need an enhancement when you purposely removed a previously working functionality.

THis whole thing really upsets me. The response i got was total BS. I hope this is not the attitude that we will see from Siemens Development team in the future!?

Peter

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi,

A workaround to this issue is to add the 'Assembly Constraints' icon to the radial pop-up menu and/or the quick access toolbar, using the following the procedure:

1. Start NX 12 and open an assembly model,
  2. Press the 'Ctrl' and '1' keys (together) to bring up the 'Customize' command dialog,
  3. Select an assembly component in the graphics display and the radial pop-up and quick access toolbar for that object type will be displayed,
  4. Search for 'constraints' in the 'Customise' dialog 'Commands' tab,
  5. Drag-and-Drop the 'Assembly Constraints' command icon on to the radial pop-up (to replace 'Add Component') and/or on to the quick access toolbar (alongside 'Add Component')

6. Close the 'Customize' dialog.

Assembly Constraints.JPG

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

@Barry_Wickson Thank you for the details of adding Assembly Constraints to component pop-up

Hi @pcsapai,

As @GaneshKadole explained, the reason "Assembly Constraints..." was removed from the component MB3 dialog was because it no longer adhered to the standard of the MB3 dialog.  All other commands available in the MB3 dialog perform their respective action on the selected component.component MB3 dialog2.PNG

The “Assembly Constraints…” command simply activated the Assembly Constraints dialog and did not perform an action on the selected component.  I realize it was a way to activate the dialog but as mentioned there are number of other ways to activate the dialog.

I'm sorry you find this inconvenient but there are dialog and display standards that must be adhered to in order to provide consistent behavior within NX.

Regards,

Tim

Builder
Builder

@tkelker01

I apreciate your response but i strongly dissagree with your answer with respect to the "Assembly Cosntrainst"  no longer adhered to the standard of the MB3 dialog This is absolutletly incorrect! When you right click on a SELECTED COMPONENT, can you please tell me how this is NOT, "performing an action on the selected component."!?

I am confused becasue I believe the selection intent is on that specific component. So yes the action activates the assembly constraint command BUT its psecifically an action on that selected component. So based on your definition or criteria, it 100% satisfies the requirements of the MB3 dialog. My concern is that who ever decided to remove that is definetly not a designer and I am sure no designers were in the room when this decision was made. Its absolutley obsurd and then to come back to me with an answer as, we can make this in to an enhancment request is absolutlely BS. It was working why remove it in the first place and then to alocate resources now to an enhancment. This is wrong.