Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX12 Measurement, Decimal Accuracy with copy to clipboard

Phenom
Phenom

When I do a measurement, NX 12 For example I get .12.  So I right click on this number and copy to the clipboard.  Then I paste into Excel.  The number is .120000000000

But the Actual Measurement is .124566545.  Why does .12 get pasted to the clipboard vs the actual real value to 6 or 8 decimal places.

I know I can change how the Measurement command displays number of decimal places.  But in older drawings that we have, this could cause some issues.

Thoughts on this>?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

Re: NX12 Measurement, Decimal Accuracy with copy to clipboard

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

@sdeters wrote:

When I do a measurement, NX 12 For example I get .12.  So I right click on this number and copy to the clipboard.  Then I paste into Excel.  The number is .120000000000.  But the Actual Measurement is .124566545.  Why does .12 get pasted to the clipboard vs the actual real value to 6 or 8 decimal places.

That's appears to be more like an Excel behavior than NX.  The clipboard should only copy what was displayed for the dimension.  Paste into notepad to compare.

I know I can change how the Measurement command displays number of decimal places.  But in older drawings that we have, this could cause some issues.

Thoughts on this>?

The ability to copy the dimension in new to the measurement command.  I found that the same value is added to the Console.  To get the value to a higher precision you'll have to check the box for "Show Results in Information Window".  Since the bevaivior is new, I'd suggested opening an ER with GTAC to request the ability to copy the value to, say, the System Precision.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

With that being said, I think that is very troublesome.  I will open a ER and see what happens.  Thanks for the feedback and help on this.

Shane

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@sdeters wrote:

Changing the decimal display should only affect what is shown in dialog boxes. What issues do you anticipate in older drawings?

Phenom
Phenom

When an user goes and copies a value from the Widget box, doing a right click and copy, and they paste into notepad or send to the console they get .12.  They will think this is the number to use and it is exact.  So they will use this number for their design.  For Example I need to move this part .12 in an assembly according to the measurement.  When it really needs to be moved .12457886,  This will cause misalignment issues. 

The issue I had I was modifying a part.  I made many modifications,  I wanted to change a wall back where it was.  I opened on older revision of the part in NX1847, I did a measurement, it said .12.  So I moved the wall .12.  No it needed to be moved .124.  Only way I found it was I did a overlay to make sure the wall was were it was before the changes.

In our older parts, that we converted from I-Deas. The NX preferences are not very clean, so we will have to reset all of these preferences, to customer defaults.  Which will destroy some of the grandfather settings that we allow.   So when users do a measurement, they will think this is the number to use.

Hi @sdeters 

You can ask GTAC to submit a Problem Report to development citing your example and potential results.  They can then review your case, determine if the functionality is behaving per specification, make the necessary changes or closed your PR as EN.

Regards, Ben

Highlighted

Phenom
Phenom

Yep done that, Thanks again for the help. 

For NX 1847 when I send the information to the console, the number looks like the system accuracy.  Not rounded off to the number of decimal places.  I do a lot of copying and pasting and having to hit "apply" to get this Information sent to the information window, and or console is not quick at all.

Submitted as PR 9370095.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for your help on this.  Very much appreciated.  

Hi @sdeters 

Your PR was closed as fixed in the next functional release of NX (currently scheduled for the end of June).  Copying the value from the measurement toolbar in that version will grab the value to the 8th decimal place.

Regards, Ben