Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: NX1847 new icons

Phenom
Phenom

@Stefan_Pendl@DaveK,

Yep, very well aware of the Siemens policy that popped up out of nowhere around the NX10 timeframe.  John Baker used to post the bitmap images for each major release because the icons were eventually hard coded into the software versus being included with the install as actual .bmp files.

Regardless of what the docs state, it never hurts to ask does it?  Where would we be today if users didn't ask for change or improvements with anything NX related?

Besides, we're talking icons here - not the keys to the NX kingdom by any means.  This policy change seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill, to be honest.

-Tim

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

John always had to ask for permission to make them available and then it was a time-limited custom download, where one needed to know the exact file name to succeed.

In general everything is copyright protected and commercial software protects every single bit, even if it is part of a bit-map ;-)

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, I used to provide those files, in a manner where they were ONLY accessible by organizations and individuals who had a valid software license.  This was done with the approval of the executive responsible for the development of NX and who also happened to be my boss.  However, things have changed since then, both in terms of the way certain aspects of the product are now being implemented to say nothing of the fact that neither I nor my former boss are working for Siemens PLM, as we have both retired some time ago.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom
@JohnRBaker,

Yes, the GOOD old days - seems like yesterday. I always appreciated what lengths you went to in order to try and support the users. Was a never ending part of the job, I'm sure. Hope things are going well for you.

@Stefan_Pendl,

The hoops that were jumped through do not matter - the very same practices could be done to this very day.

Not all commercial software is that way - M$ certainly doesn't take that same stance about some of their OS icons. They're routinely plastered all over the internet and I believe one can download certain icons for nothing from M$. I would call what you're describing more of a paranoid trend that is just blindly followed from one company to the next without any real basis of which we've been made aware, not that it really matters.

It matters not what is a trend or practice, what company A & B does in regards to what they copyright or what is posted on some web document - asking for a change doesn't hurt a single thing other than maybe someone's pride.
-Tim

Hi,

Does anyone know the actual reason for the icons change?

Regards, Carl