Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX1847 new icons

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I like the new icons shown in the presentation videos of new NX release but I am curious about the reason and advantages of this new icons package. What are the reasons to change them? Are they vectorized images so they can be scaled better?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: NX1847 new icons

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

i think it's more done to get a fresh new look.

also they have more a uniform style. Like pattern and delete symbols. 

that symbol is now always on the right bottom corner.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Icons are now all hard coded too.  That should make creating custom icons a breeze - not.  Thanks Siemens. Smiley Frustrated

Seems more like a MR than a major release.  Not much seems to wow me glancing at the What's New (10 new things for Modeling and Drafting - total).  But we have new icons.  Pfffffttt.

The lack of colors in some areas reminds me of an early 90's MacIntosh OS.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi TimF,

If you delve in to the whats new a little deeper you will see some good enhancements across NX. Convergent modelling and Design for Additive have some key enhancements when working with mesh bodies or using lattice structures. You will see some useful design efficiency improvements such as Feature Snapshots and Automatic Work Part Change which are applicable for most users. If you have products that have motion, then the new capabilities in Animation Designer for Inverse Kinematics and also Documenting your animations are particularly useful. In the realm of MBD and PMI I encourage you to look at the new Technical Data Package (TDP) which is something that customers have been asking for for many years, where they can publish JT and and/or 3D pdf to convey information to suppliers for example. It is also the initial release of NX that supports our Continous Release strategy. From now it is known as NX rather than have a version number associated, of course for any PR's customers can still find the internal version/build number by using about NX or looking at the log file, as you would do for Microsoft products.

Regards

Paul

Gears Phenom

@Paul_Bevan,

Thanks for pointing out all of those new things. Unfortunately, little of that goes towards for what I use NX. I understand that not every user is going to be happy with each major release and not everyone uses NX for just Modeling, Assemblies and Drafting (my company's needs stop there).  I'm fairly certain that since my employer has to follow GM, we won't be taking much advantage of Continuous Release - we're typically 2 years behind (NX11 right now) and only migrate when GM says to migrate.

I didn't intend for my comment to sound like all of NX (1847) was a dud - hence why I mentioned only Modeling and Drafting. Sure, there's more to it than what's listed in the guide - but that still doesn't mean every user to going to be awe-stricken nor does it mean every user will be disappointed either. Some will be pleased, others unimpressed and still others will probably be more negative than necessary. Me, I'm just being honest - that's all.

You want to make this customer very happy (and I'm sure many more)?  Share your new icons with us like was done in the past with the complete bitmap library of varying sizes. Makes creating new icons a breeze and I don't have to resort to becoming an icon graphic artist just to make my custom icons look half-way decent.

Thanks for your time!

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@TimF I will check if we can do this.

Regards

Paul

Gears Phenom

I must second the fact that being able to download the NX icons was really useful. I do a lot of Blockstyler work and I've used NX icons as the basis for many new ones to use on my dialogs.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

To find icon names used in dialogs, set the following environment variable:

PRINT_DIALOG_BITMAP_NAMES=1

To find icon names used in menus and tool bars search the files in the following folder for the action names shown in the NX log file:

%UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII\menus

In general icons are private property of Siemens, so their offering has ended with NX 9, if I remember correctly.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The last line:

"The actual bitmap files used by NX are proprietary and cannot be distributed to customers by GTAC so please do not ask us for them."

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&p=1&q=PRINT_DIALOG_BITM...

Getting Started with NXOpen : Using standard NX bitmaps in custom dialogs
Note: 

GTAC provides programming examples for illustration only, and assumes that you are familiar 
with the programming language being demonstrated and the tools used to create and debug procedures. 
GTAC support professionals can help explain the functionality of a particular procedure, but we 
will not modify these examples to provide added functionality or construct procedures to meet your specific needs.

Standard NX bitmaps can be used in custom dialogs, toolbar buttons, etc.  To use them just reference them by name.

There are several different ways to determine the names of NX bitmaps.

For anything that is shown in the toolbar/ribbon bar area, use <RightMouseButton> Customize in the toolbar/ribbon bar area.  Then with the Customize dialog up, go to the icon you want to get the name of and <RMB>Change Button Icon-> Icon Name... The Button Image dialog will be displayed showing the current bitmap name.

For bitmaps that are only shown when a specific dialog is active, set the environment variable PRINT_DIALOG_BITMAP_NAMES=1, restart NX, then bring up the dialog in question.  Select Help-> Log File and scroll to the bottom to see the names of the bitmaps used in that dialog.

The actual bitmap files used by NX are proprietary and cannot be distributed to customers by GTAC so please do not ask us
for them.
-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Gears Phenom

I guess I'll have to continue using @Stefan_Pendl's advice or my old favourite, Alt-PrintScreen and then use Paint.NET to clip out the icon I want Man Wink

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.2 MP1]