Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX1847+ update download location

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I've been tryin gto figure out where to set the location for the update downloads, once we go production, and Siemens has it working Smiley Wink.

In testing, i set it to a single network location at the group level, where I thought everyone could get to it.  thought would be that I would get the red light, and download it, then I could tell others to update once it was tested.  I would be the only one with the red light indicator, everyone else would just have the black.

So far I haven't been able to test this, because of the issues on what version, and how you got there, etc. but it got me wondering how others are handling the location?  central single network locale, or somewhere on the users local drive?  Any "Siemens best practice" we should consider?

CustDefaults.JPG

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6

Re: NX1847+ update download location

Phenom
Phenom

Our approach, first thinking about it, was going to be download files to shared folder.

Do some testing. 

In a different thread Ben Broad discussed a .json file.  We was going to send this .json file to all of the users local drive, which prompts NX to update, after our testing has been done.

Now the issue with this is, to install the MSP file, the user needs to have Admin privileges.   

This will cause issues for us.  So we are looking at ways around the user needing Admin privileges, or push out the updates.  So these updates will be worse for us to implement, vs how they are done today, with using a .bat file to update the files on the local drive.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @sdeters and @DaveK ,

first of all, the automatic update works starting from NX1859 with a clean install.

Second, the folder value path that you have to set in the customer default must exist, but the value it's not honored because the  'Siemens Cloud Connector Service'  doesn't have the .jason file that @BenBroad has mentioned. This file is generated when the download starts, that can starts with a local path. I've tried the @BenBroad solution but doesn't work. Our company works all in shared folders/setting.

Try yourself, maybe I wrong something in the setting/operation, but actually, my colleagues can't update from a shared folder. I will investigate to find a solution.

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

What is the reason it fails without admin privs?

- If it is becuase the update tries to update the registry, I don't know a way around that.

- If it is because the user doesn't have write access to C:\Program Files\..., just install somewhere else (C:\Siemens\...)
    (Assuming your IT allows THAT!)

- The other issue I could think of, it could be is because the install is trying to put links in the "Common" desktop / start menu.  Not sure how to get around that either.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

@Ken_A ,

with who are you talking ?

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Legend
Legend

Hi,

He's talking to @sdeters who said :

"Now the issue with this is, to install the MSP file, the user needs to have Admin privileges."

Besides, if you think it's worse than how it's actually managed, you still can download the patches and install them with you current strategy (kind of) until this automatic updates fulfills your requirements.

Best regards,

Frédéric.

Phenom
Phenom

@Ken_A 

I thought I saw where NX updates are writing more information to the registery.  Maybe this is it.  I do not know much about the Windows installer, and MSP.  But I know the NX update I tried on a users system and said it needed Admin rights to install the 1863 update.

Now doing searches on the web, I found this.  https://www.autoelevate.com/  I discussed this with our "IT" guy last night and he was going to do more research on how we could possibly get around this admin issue.

@FLehn 

At the current time we put the latest NX patch on a shared drive, and the user can update NX with the .bat without needing Admin rights.