Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX8.5 - Reusable Sketch - User Defined Expressions ??

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi.
I'm trying to create a reusable Object, a sketch which I have constrained using 4 User Defined expressions, but each time the defined expressions & constraints are omitted & only the unconstrained sketch is saved to the reuse library.

This is what I've tried
Tools >> Reuse Library >> Define Reusable Object.
Type: 2D Section
Folder: 2D Section Library >> Metric

How can I get the UDE constraints to export with the sketch?

Really appreciate a little help here.
Thank you
C

NX8.5

3 REPLIES

Re: NX8.5 - Reusable Sketch - User Defined Expressions ??

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try using Type: Feature and select the Sketch, rather than using Type: 2D Section. 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks BenBroad.

It looks like Type: General, is close to what I need, as the UDEs load with the sketch, however they are renamed. Maybe what I need is not available.

For example, let's say I make create a User Defined Expression (UDE) "Diameter" & set it equal to 10.Then create a simple sketch of a circle, & set the diameter constraint = "Diameter"

Next I would like to create a Reuseable Object(RO) using this sketch.

Now, I start a new 3d model file. Design a new widget, then insert the RO. Constrain it's location to a feature of the model, but it's diameter should be constrained by the UDE constraint "Diameter".

Then insert the RO again & constrain it's location to another feature of the model. Again it's diameter would be constrained by the UDE constraint "Diameter.

If I change the value of "Diameter" to 20, both circles should increase in diameter.

Is this possible? Or do I need someone to pinch me!

Thanks

C

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Cionn,

In NX 8.5 tried 'Type: General' and found that you end up with UDE's typical of imported parts, i.e., each time the RO is added the UDE are given a prime ('n) and each subsequent insertion increments the prime.  For example, the first inserted RO adds a UDE "Diameter'0", the next inserted RO adds a UDE "Diameter'1" and so on.  The only way I can maintain the expressions is to use 'Type: Feature'.
I also found that this does not work in NX 11, so I've opened a problem report with development (PR 8922557).

Regards, Ben