Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX8.5 crashes on Assembly

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have a problem, my NX8.5 crashes each time I want to insert a part into an assembly.

The whole programme crashes, doesn't give a crash report and doesn't save anything, so it happens every time on the first part I want to add to my assembly.

I have checked my drivers on my graphics card and have tried reinstallation twice now, but no effect yet.

Anyone any idea what I can try more?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: NX8.5 crashes on Assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Probably you need to send the files to GTAC.

Some things to check...

- try running part cleanup on all the files (run it 3 times on each file), saving them, closing & re-opening.

- how big are your parts?  

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @mvdschoor,

As Ken says, please report this to GTAC, and we will have a look at this.

As what you can do for your self. In your temp directory you shoudl find the NX log file of all the session that have errors in it.

Go to the temp directory by opening a windows explorer window, and type in the address bar:

%temp% <enter>. This should open the correct folder right away.

Sort them on date, and look for the last file which ahs the name: <winuser>******.syslog.

You might have a look in here, you might be able to see for yourself what the error is, but feel free to create a Call for this and upload this file.

Let me know, if you need any help in this.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Take a look at your Assembly Load Options (File > Options > Assembly Load Options) - are you using Lightweight Representations (found in the Scope section)?

If you are, see if the behavior is any different if you turn off Lightweight Representations.

Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1876) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Phenom
Phenom

Have you tried loading your assembly with structure only.  Do a file utilites part cleanup.  Then add your component.  Then try load all of your part.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Wow, many replies allready!

I am going to try some guys, but after reinstal 3 times, I am a bit fed up with the programme right now. Will take a day off and will try all your suggestions tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions

Experimenter
Experimenter

Well, everybody, thanks again for all the responses! I'll respond to Dennis' message, because I sense a kind of knowledge I need for this Smiley Wink

For Ken_A: since I started to work with NX like a week ago, I don't think my parts are very big, I assume I am not able to create those parts yet. I do have a background of SolidWorks however, but still need to figure out a lot in NX.

The parts cleanup, I assume you mean just closing all parts and than make an assembly by seaching through my laptop's folders? Have tried that allready.

For Ben: Nope, that box was not checked, so no options there.

and for Sdeters: I have no idea how to do so, I'm kind of a newby in NX....

Than the reply on Dennis' message:

Thanks for offering your help! After some tries (sorry, normally everything just works on my beloveth laptop) I found the items you mentioned, the syslogs. Unfortunately I am not able to open them... Any ideas on that?

Would it help if I upload the syslog here, or is it just a case of calling the helpdesk?

Phenom
Phenom

For loading the assembly as structure only.  Go to file option assembly load options.  Then select load structure only. 

To do a part cleanup go to file utilities and part cleanup. click most everything on and run this.  It may help it may not help.. It is always my first go to when I have issues.  Hope this helps.

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry to read that you attempted to install NX three times. Just so know, this is not SW. You should rarely have to do something that drastic. It is very uncommon for NX to crash without warnings.

My first step in trouble shooting would be to create a brand new assembly and add your component. This will allow you to determine if your problem resides in your assembly file or if it is the component being added.

My second step would be to open the component being added to the assembly first then open your assembly and add the component.

My third step would be to run the Part Cleanup functions.

Fourth would be to ensure that I have the proper graphics card drivers.

Finally, I would contact GTAC.

Normally, I would check the syslog file straight away, but it appears you are new to NX and the information may not be useful to you but will be critical to others.

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Why wait so long to call GTAC?

We're here to help with issues like this.  All too often we hear that users (seasoned experts and new users alike) have spent hours, even days, trying to troubleshoot an issue that can usually be resolved in a single phone call...

Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1876) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration