Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX9 Drafting Section View at a specified distance

Pioneer
Pioneer

I have a part print I am working on. I need a section view 42mm from Datum -A-. Is there any way to do this without actually putting a curve or point on the model? In the attached image, I have section H-H. It needs to be at 42mm not 41.82.

5 REPLIES

Re: NX9 Drafting Section View at a specified distance

Phenom
Phenom

RMB the view border.

Select “Active Sketch View”

Draw section line with dimension (42mm)

Select “Section Line” command.

Under "Definition= Select Sketch", Select the above drawn section line and press OK.

Click Section view command and select “Definition = Select Existing” and select the drawn section line.

Place the section view.

To edit:

Double click the drawn section line. Under Definition select sketch Icon. Edit the dimension (42mm)

Finish the sketch and then exit the Section Line window.

Rebuild the section view to see the new section view.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Note that the process that Mike mentions is only available in NX 10 and above.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I've attached a possible solution for NX9.  It involves using the Offset Option on the Point command when selecting an object to inter point.  It also requires that you have a curve (or line) perpendicular to your Datum A, though you could use the remaining offset options to see if they provide a solution.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I had tried this a few times, but couldn't get the offset to work. I was using a line for the offest vector, but that line was in a separate view. No matter what offset I entered, it would put it on the datum. Since I am working with a cast part, every wall in that direction is drafted. If I picked the drafted line, my dimension would be just a hair off. I ended up using the drafted wall as my line and kept fudging the number just a little until the dimension measured 42.00. Thanks for the help!!

Pioneer
Pioneer

Correct. The first step did nothing.

RMB the view border.

Select “Active Sketch View”     <-- nothing happened.