Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX9 Drafting Thread Display

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am creating a drawing of a widget with an external thread.  I am using the current out of the box ASME drafting standard and ANSI/Simplified thread.  When I place the view on the drawing, the thread minor displays as a thin solid line.  I would like a dashed line.  Changing to Simplified full arc, the thin line disappears.  Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES

Re: NX9 Drafting Thread Display

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You said that the thread was 'external' (AKA 'Male'), correct?  If so, then 'rendering' the thread usinng the 'Schematic' Display Type would be as expected, with solid lines for both the Major and Minor tread.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

OK, but I have an older drawing (Pre-NX8.5) that displays the hidden line for the thread minor.  In my Pre-NX8.5 can turn on and off the schematic.  I cannot re-create using NX9.  Doesnt make sense. 

Siemens Phenom

Could you provide an example of a "pre-NX 8.5" Drawing where a Schematic view of a male thread was shown as you describe?  If not the actual file, at least a picture of the threaded member in a Drawing view?  I ask as I've gone back to NX 5.0 and could produce nothing that looks any different than what I can using NX 9.0.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

I'm not sure why you are not seeing dashed lines for the external threads if you set your view thread display type to Simplified-Full Arc. I've tested the settings in both 8.5 and 9.0 and can get the same results (see attachment).  Is this not what you are seeing?

Siemens Phenom

I'm sorry, I thought you were refering to 'Schematic' display.  MY BAD!!!

I'll check it out and get back to you as I have to run for a meeting.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom

OK, I tested this using NX 9.0.3.4 and this is what I;m getting:

Thread Display.PNG

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Highlighted

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have been trying to figure this out on my end too.  I found that adding a chamfer on the end of the part, larger than the thread minor, would make the hidden lines not appear. 

Siemens Phenom

The order in which the Chamfer versus the Thread features were created might make a difference. 

Try placing the Chamfer AFTER the Thread feature, in 'time-stamp' order.

If this has no effect, make sure that in the Threads Settings dialog that the 'Render True Hidden Line' option is toggled OFF.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Changing the chamfer from 1.0 to 0.85 makes the hidden lines appear/disappear.  Render True hidden line option is un-checked.