Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX9 Hole call out and assembly load options

Experimenter
Experimenter
I am using the new hole call out option to dimension many threaded holes in an drawing depending of a large assembly. as a requiremement for hole call outs the tool force users to have the part fully loaded in order to be able to pull the data. This works good at this point I saved my file with the dimensions as needed. But, when I closed and re-open or another different user opens the file I noticed and out of date, once updated all the dimensions defined with the hole call out tool got changed from the thread size to a simple diameter. which is very dangerous because it changes the dimensions without any message. I see this out of date and change in of the thread call out to simple diameters is related to the assembly load options settings I have on my NX session, since I have "partial loading" NX is not loading the components loaded during the hole callout creation. Here, the questions: s there a way to set the load options in the file as it was saved so when anyone opens my files it loads exactly as it was saved? Or how can I ensure that if I use hole callouts it will stay as it was saved with no matter which load options the NX user has in his session.? Thank you for the help Vicente
11 REPLIES

Re: NX9 Hole call out and assembly load options

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You need to use Bookmarks.

If you review the Help Documentation you will see how to use them.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I tried to use bookmarks but it did not work for me  (unless I did something wrong) as I see bookmarks is to save your own load options in you local PC, but what I am looking for is one option that will guarantee that if other user diefferent than me opens my file it will open with the same load options I saved my file no matter what load options this other user has in his NX session. Well, at the end the issue I found thatis that NX callout is affected by the " partial loading" in the assembly load options which I believe is a bad thing. Nx callouts should not be affected by the load options since we can not control the load options of all the users that may be editing the file in companies where users are around the world. At the end, on my drawing I decided to re-do the dimensions and remove all the hole callouts and I used expressions which is more time consumming but this is the only way I found to guarantee to have my drawing linked to the 3D model and ensuring it will not change. Hole call out  was a great tool but with this issue I will not use it because it will not guarantte my dimensions will stay correct. see file attached for a PDF slide where I captured the issue.

Siemens Phenom

Hi ,

When you create Hole Callout the very first time you might have noticed the Alert Message popping up." Creating a Hole Callout  requires feature data to be fully loaded" .

So as a best practise you can just select the component (on which you need to use the hole callout dimension) from ANT and open it fully before creating the hole callout dimension.

Or you can simply use TOOLS/UPDATE/INTERPART UPDATE/UPDATE ALL before dimensioning.

Or even if you use it with a partial loading ...you can use SNAPSHOT in drafting to capture and compare the changes.Or may be use some earlier snpashot stage for drafting.

Best Regards

Kapil

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Kapil -

While that is true, it RELIES ON THE USER to ALWAYS do the right thing (assuming they even know what the right thing is!).

And we all know how well users can be relied on to *always* do the right thing....NOT!

I'm not sure what a good soultion is, but a couple options might be:

- if using automatic hole callouts, automatically fully load the required components (which could be interesting if someone has to load "structure only" to fix an assembly issue...)

- prevent these notes from updating (possibly with an alert/warning) if the part required is not fully loaded (maybe highlight hole callouts NOT updated, or specify which parts need to be fully loaded?)

But (IMHO) in any case, it should NOT require the user to know these details.  NX should be "smart enough" to correctly deal with this issue, or tell the user exactly what they have to do.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom
Hi Ken,
Yes ideally the loading behaviour should not have any impact like this one.
I will try it out on NX10 and let all of you know if this behaviour is different or not.
Have a nice weekend all of you.
Best Regards
Kapil

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

I agree with @Ken_A; NX should take care of these details for us. As such, it may require a fix from the developers. @VicenteMex, please report your findings to GTAC; if you do not, then the developers may never know about the problem. They will give it high priority because NX updates that cause unintentional drawing changes are taken very seriously.

Experimenter
Experimenter

I would like to report the issue, but, does somebody knows what is the process to report it to GTAC?

Best regards

Vicente

Siemens Phenom
Hi Vicente,
The link should be on the first page of GTAC itself. "Report an Issue"
Sorry i do not have access to it right now .
Regards
Kapil

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
"Create or update an IR"
-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1