Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX9 Ordinate dimension jogs

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In NX 7.5 if you wanted to move a jog in an ordinate dimension you could pick the ordinate & it would give you places to pick on the ordinate jog to move where the jog is at & also the angle. Is this still available in 9 & if it is how do you move it. The only way I've found is to have to go into the style of that dimension & change the 2 offset dimension values.

8 REPLIES

Re: NX9 Ordinate dimension jogs

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Double click the ordinate dimension and then select the small yellow square handle at the beginning of the dimension extension line. This should give you access to the Jog Start, Jog Mid and Jog End drag handles (see attached).  Note that the style of the dimension needs to be defined as "Start Offset and End Offset" if you want to change the angle.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OK that's figured out. Now how do you add a jog to an ordinate that doesn't have a jog to begin with. I found that picking on the box at the origin of that ordinate brings up the option to add a jog, but there's nothing that I find that allows me to drag the dimension to complete the jog. Whoever came up with this method of jogging the oridnates had no clue as to how much of a pain & time waste they've created with this. They should force the programmers to use their programs for a couple of months before they add it to a software package. Gets frustrating when they had something that was easy to use without all the extra pop up dialogs & menu picks they've turned this into.

Builder
Builder

Hi All

Same issue here i cannot add OR delete and existing jog. What am i missing. I see the dit mode here with changing the angles and size of the jog, thats great. How do i create on on a dimension that does not have one adn vice versa, how do i delete.

Thank you, 

Peter

NX12.0.2.9 Win10 64bit, Tecnomatix PS V14.1.

Phenom
Phenom

To add a jog; "Shift"+ select the ordinate dimension and place it in a new location.

To edit/delete a jog; double click the jogged dimension and then go to the vertex points and click to get the options.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Creator
Creator

Mike,

"To add a jog; "Shift"+ select the ordinate dimension and place it in a new location"

Explain this a little further, if you would.  

To add or remove an offset to an ordinate dimension, I have been:

a)  Single click the dimension to highlight it.

b)  RH mouse button and select "setting"

c)  Choose "jog".

d)  Select or pull down to choose "yes" or "no" (or use the shortcut icon selection)

Yes, this is a pain compared to NX7.5, which was as simple as selecting offset with a RMB choice.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If you hold the shift key down & pick on the dimension text, then drag the text, it will allow a jog to be placed. You have to drag it enough to allow it to jog which seems to be about twice the height of the text. Then you can drag the text to where you actually want to place it. I do believe that the ordinate dimensioning has taken a serious step back in ease of use and those that came up with this crazy way of doing it should be forced to use it 10 hours a day.

Creator
Creator

Layke-Tool,

Thanks for the tip!   This will be handy.  Changing the dogleg is still a pain overall because we have to select the little box before we can change anything, but with your tip, overall, it's better.

I found with ordinate dimensioning, is to select and then place the first dimension carefully.  Then, the next dimensions will align with that first dimension.  To go from horz to vert, right click on the ordinate origin arrow-thingy and click a choice to alter the actions.

With that, ordinate is not too bad, except that I have to select the line/arc, and then also select the origin for the dimension.  Two clicks instead of just one. There is probably a better procedure, but this works ok.

Of course, there are some times when you need to punt and merge dimension sets together.  NX7.5 had far less of those "punt" situations.

Although....  I have opened some parts from others, and WOW, are there ever some crazy ordinate stuff happening which I cannot figure out.  Stuff like arrows with the ordinate dimension, dimensions which lose the text unless the text is set to aligned.  It is pretty wild.

Phenom
Phenom

Have you tried Margins? This way you could window select the view and it will automatically place all the dimensions at the nearest defined margins.

What I do firstly is to create margins. If the extreme corners aren’t sharp, use the intersection point and also using other options in the window. I agree, the functionalities are scatted all over and not very user friendly for productivity.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW