Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX9: Sketcher

Legend
Legend

Let me start off by mentioning I don't use Sketcher that often. the majority of my work is soft tooling driven by customer supplied part data. Other than block sizes and some basic things I don't use sketcher often.

I've been given a project that is slightly above a "bar napkin" concept drawing. It is in Inches and I prefer to work in metric so I set my preferences in sketcher for Dual dimension. I have sketched out some of the "drawing" and as soon as I enter the actual number as opposed to the infered number both numbers are MM

Attached is a screencrop of where i am at right now. I would like to see the Inch numbers as a verification I didn't mis enter a dimension.

Note: I am entering the values as an expression. , example. 16.0in so it converts on the fly.

sketcher2.PNG

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro
7 REPLIES

Re: NX9: Sketcher

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I think you've found a bug there. I just tested in NX9.0.3 and the inferred dimension shows the inches. As soon as you enter a value for the dimension (metric or inches), the dual dimension is in mm and it won't change.
Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Legend
Legend

Nice, how do we go about reporting it?

EDIT:

I think I did it right. I used the reoporting feature under help.

Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

JohnRBaker commented on this behavior a while back in the eng-tips forum:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=366475

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @R_Newcomb,

Not sure how you reported it, you can find it under the help, but not sure if you choose the correct option, as there are more, but for the next time, you can also go to, www.siemens.com/gtac, and select there: report an issue.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Dennis de Brouwer
Application Support Engineer
GTAC EMEA - Siemens Industry Software

Legend
Legend

I did get a response from GTAC, it is "As Designed"

Which in my opinion is next to useless. You have to do the math outside of NX, then enter the calculated inch to metric value in the field and change the preferences listed below you'll see the Dual dimension in Inches

The work around is as follows:

"In order to get the desired behavior, you will need to change the dimension label to “value” instead of “expression”. While in the Sketch, select ‘PreferencesSketch’. Select the ‘Sketch Settings’ tab and change the ‘Dimension Label = Value’. Now any new dimensions you create without an expressions will display correctly."

Or

When finished with the sketch hide all your driving dimensions and create a 2nd set of reference dimensions

Luckily we only have a few customers that insist on using Inches... one being the U.S. Government

Phenom
Phenom

Check my ER:

mf_201500708.JPG

Work around:

mf_201500708_02.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Legend
Legend
Where do I go to see that?