Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX9 and QHD displays

Greetings

I am considering the purchase of a new laptop, namely a dell precision, these newer machines boast a QHD display with a resolution of 3200x1800 which for the most part is extremely nice with one caveat. Windows has not yet fixed UI scaling, the icons and menus in Adobe programs for example, are tiny! Adobe is working on it but they are also awaiting on developments with Microsoft. 

Will NX suffer the same problem? Has the (welcome) onslaught of high DPI displays been adressed yet by Siemens, or are we going to have to wait and not purchase new hardware until its been sorted.

Regards

Adrian

14 REPLIES

Re: NX9 and QHD displays

There are a couple of changes being made in NX 10.0 to accommodate these so-called 4K displays.  The first is the introduction of an optional 'Extra Large' class of icons which can be used in the ribbon.  With NX 9.0, when it came to main ribbon itself, there only two icon size options, 'Small' and 'Large', which were, in pixel terms, 16 x 16 and 32 x 32.  With NX 10.0 you will now have access to four different sizes, 'Small' (16 x 16), 'Medium' (24 x 24), 'Large' (32 x 32) and 'Extra Large' 948 x 48).

In addition to the ability to now use any of these four sizes for any icon on the ribbon, we've also provided a global option which allows you to simply toggle an increase in the size of all of the elements of ribbon, including whatever icons are being used, by another 50%, which would make those new 'Extra Large' icons appear as if they were 72 x 72 pixels, which is more than TWICE as large as the largest icon that you can currently use with NX 9.0.

Note that as we get more experience using NX on these new 4K displays we will continue to evaluate what other steps might be needed to make them more usable and productive for our customers.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

I know that a customer of mine that bought a Dell laptop with the QHD+ display was having issues with font sizes in NX9. He was having trouble trying to control the sizes of the fonts depending on where they are used. I don't believe he found a permanent solution.
Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)
http://www.phoenxplm.com.au/email/2014_signature/signature_videoCenter.jpg

Thanks John, that is good to know, the reseller my in my area has indicated that NX10 is not too far way (end of the year). Looks like I might hold off, but it is nice to see that steps have already been taken.

Rgds

Adrian

Greetings Anthony

The only solution so far has been to run at a reduced resolutiion (1920x1200) which is quite workable. This has worked for my wife her laptop and problematic UI scaling. Everything loks fine, just not as creamy smooth!

Rgds

Adrian

Hi John, 

Last year I posted about this on http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=373521 but the thread has been closed since. So I thought to post here.

I finally completed migration to NX10 and I am having my first experiences with its support of "4K displays" - in my case a 15" 2880x1800 "retina" display

If you take a look at the screenshot attached you'll see an example of how the dialog windows are layed out on my system.

Now, I don't know where the boundary of responsiblity lies between Windows and NX in dealing with this HiDPI issue but if I'm lucky someone could offer a hint if there's something to be done.

It seems that in NX there are options for setting icon sizes (via various settings), but the font sizes are controlled by the operating system (via Custom DPI Setting in the Control Panel). Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to set a "dialog windows design scale factor" accordingly.

I have my DPI scaled to 175% (that gives a good size for fonts), but the window layout seems at 100%, so naturally everything seems pack together.

Have you experimented with the customer default for Dialog Box Width?

Also, maybe the touch panel role would help? 

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success

Thanks. I see what that setting does. Good tip! After experimenting a bit I left it at 100% though. 

The touch role is a nice workaround for some things. It adds some padding but only around touchable elements.

It's the other things (table and window sizes, column widths in tables not proportional to font size, text entry boxes too short, spacing between radio buttons and checkboxes and their text to small...)

If this is indeed something addressable by NX (Maybe Windows 10 behaves differently?), I hope this thread gets to the UI designers as a suggestion... (This cosmetic problem has been around at least since 2012)

Now that HiDPI screens are much more common the issue should get critical mass to get fixed.

Note that there is also options on the 'Icons/Tooltips' tab of the Customize dialog where you can increase the size of Dialog Boxes by an additional 50% or 100%.  Have you tried these options to see if this addresses your issues?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Hadn't seen that one either!

Sure, they increase the size of the icons in dialog boxes, every bit helps. :-)

Thank you!