Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with drag and drop, to open IGES in NX9

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I am using NX9 and converting files for work. I am saving CATPart files as IGES, then opening the IGES files in NX to create JT files.

When i drag and drop a PRT file into NX, it will open it. When I drag and drop an IGS file into NX, it won't open and I see a red circle with a line through it. But when I go to file open, I can open the same file that I just tried to drag and drop to open. This would save me a LOT of time, as I wouldn't have to search through the network to find the file.

With MS Office products (ie. Word, Excel), I can copy and paste a file location (from the file explorer) into the drop down window when browsing for a file in Word/Excel, but I can't find a way to do that in NX. It still has a Windows XP feel to it. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a setting that I can change that will allow me to export the JT file to the same location to where the file was opened from, rather than the last place I saved a JT file to?

These little things will save me a LOT of time, thank you so much in advance!!

-Rich

10 REPLIES

Re: Need help with drag and drop, to open IGES in NX9

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you have a path you want to use when opening a file in NX, paste it into the FILE NAME text area (toward bottom of dialog) rather than the "look in" entry (at the top of the dialog).

Then hit "enter" and you're there.

If you do this enough, you might want to create a journal & add to your toolbar (or maybe cowski or someone will write it for you?)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for your response!

I didn't know I could paste the location into the File Name area, thanks!

I'm the new data manager where I work now and I am trying to find ways to more quickly convert and move files around the network. The 4 tier Teamcenter setup is very smooth! But I am still trying to monkey with regular NX tasks, not in teamcenter. Any tips are appreciated. I think the overall fastest way to fix much of this is if the company I work for decides to upgrade their NX license to open Catia V5 files as well, but my understanding is that it is not cheap... 

When I double click a file that is associated with Catia, it will open the file in the current window and let me save to where the file is currently located. Is there a way that I can drag an IGES file to NX 9.0, and it will open it? And is there a way that when I drag any file into the NX window and it opens the file, that it can also automatically save as or export to the existing folder?

Also, what is a "journal" in NX?

Thanks again Ken!

-Rich

A journal is a VB (or I think Python in NX10.0.x?) recording of stuff you do interactively.  You can then edit the journal to make it more generic, add user selection, add looping/logic, etc.

You can record your own (Menu -> Tools -> Journal -> record)

Note the reorded journals have all selections "hard coded" to the stuff you pick.

Not ALL user-interface things are "journal enabled".  Some can be added by knowing the appropriate VB API calls, some things are just not supported.

You can then play back your journal to re-do the same tasks in an automated manner, with no extra licensing required (you can compile/link your journal to a .dll, but that requires a development license)

Note there are also macros, but they are another can of worms.

Lots of code is available for examples in https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/adv_search.php

Use your webkey to log in, search for some key words (e.g. "iges basic") then filter on "nx_api" (although many of the other groups may also have VB code)

another resource is http://nxjournaling.com/

hope this helps

note you can record a journal in C++ / Java / C# / VB and (NX10) Python, but I think only VB and python can be replayed.

C# journals can also be replayed.

Creator
Creator

Thanks, i'll looking into the journals! I've worked with VB in the past, as well as macros in Excel. And i'm currently learning HTML 5, so I think I might be able to get the hang of it, although I haven't worked with Python before....

I tried pasting the file link in the File Name area and it worked great, thanks!

Any input on why I can't drag and drop an IGES file into the NX window to open it though? I can open the same IGES file if I go to File, Open...

Thanks again!!

Why no drag n drop?  Probably Siemens never implemented it.  Someone from Siemens would have to respond.

Noet if you REALLY want to get into this, you could probably create a right-click action that you could right-click on an IGS/IGES file in Windows explorer, and have the whole conversion done for you.  No need to open an NX session & do anything...

Ken

richiemoe wrote:

Any input on why I can't drag and drop an IGES file into the NX window to open it though? I can open the same IGES file if I go to File, Open...

When you drag a file to NX, the name is sent to the "router", which determines what to do, based on the file extension. I doubt this was ever supported.

If you double click on the file in windows, what happens?

If you are going to do this often, you might also look at a batch file, since there are command line interfaces for the translators and NX.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

some programs support all known file types for drag and drop into the graphics window.

NX isnt one of them.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro