Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help with edge blend.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the best way to approach my problem.  I need to put a .015 radius between the red surfaces and the green surface. I used edge blend but visually the radius doesn't look good as it is heavier on one side than the other, and the results are making programming the cut to generate the radius a pain. File is attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated.example.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Need some help with edge blend.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don’t know if you can avoid this. If the two face angles change then the tangent of the radius changes. The Ball option in face blend may give you the best result. If you want to control the appearance, then the radius will change. You will then uses style Blend or Soft blend and construct the appearance tangent edges.

Cord

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

A 0.015 blend looks OK to me except where there's a bit of disjointed edge near one end of the airfoil (Magenta faces in the attached model). I'm not sure if that is where you're seeing your issues but you might try cleaning that up first and see it that helps. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I could suggest.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

@JohnRBaker wrote:

A 0.015 blend looks OK to me except where there's a bit of disjointed edge near one end of the airfoil (Magenta faces in the attached model). I'm not sure if that is where you're seeing your issues but you might try cleaning that up first and see it that helps. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I could suggest.

Yeah that was what I was getting when I did the edge blend, just I don't like how the radius doesn't look uniform.  If you look at the smaller of the two magenta faces the radius looks a lot larger visually on the convex side than on the concave side. It makes the tip surface look shifted on the part.  I'm not fully versed on NX so I am not sure how to clean that up.

@cord wrote:

I don’t know if you can avoid this. If the two face angles change then the tangent of the radius changes. The Ball option in face blend may give you the best result. If you want to control the appearance, then the radius will change. You will then uses style Blend or Soft blend and construct the appearance tangent edges.

I think it would be ok if the radius changed size as long as it stayed in the .015-.045 range.  Is there somewhere I can read up on the style blend or soft blend?  Never used either before so not sure how to go about using them.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I just opened your part. Sorry. As John noted something else is also happening in this case. I could suggest you use some face repair tools but this could change the Math more than allowed. I can’t create a clean tangent line to use soft blend.

Cord