Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative dimension not opposite

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm using a dimension to position a sketch feature along the X-axis.  Normally if I enter a negative value for a dimension it will flip the feature to the opposite side of the zero point.  However, for some reason that is not happening in this sketch.  A negative dimension stays on the positive side of the zero point.

Any ideas why this might be happening?  I really need this to work bi-directionallly, as this dimension will ultimately be driven by a relation that could have both postive and negative values.

Thanks for any help!

Pat

3 REPLIES

Re: Negative dimension not opposite

Phenom
Phenom

You have to use "Alternate Solution" command to flip the dimension:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.3/nx_help/#goto:sketcher:sk_alt_sol

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
The sketch where this was occurring was not fully constrained. Once I fully constrained it, the feature started flipping with negative dimensions, as needed. Not sure why fully constraining it mattered, but I'm glad it's working. If it comes up again though, I'll know to use Alternate Solution.

Thanks for the response.
Pat

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It is very difficult for the sketch solver to determine if an object is left and right of a line. As a user you would not want the behavior to be depending on the 'direction'of the line. If we would do it that way then you will get all kinds of weird flipping of sides.

I am glad you found that fully constraining the sketch makes this work. This is one of the cases where auto dimensioning helps. Leave it turned on.

I can understand that you do not like the clutter it brings. This is the reason there is an option to suppress display of auto dimensions (not the same as hiding). The auto dimensions then still help with solving the sketch, while not cluttering the screen.

When you are nearly done drawing curves and constraining, you can find the last degrees of freedom by displaying the auto dimensions. 

Just to emphasize the defaults are defaults for a reason :-)

Regards, **bleep**