Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New problem with Excel and NX not working together

Genius
Genius

Hello, On 5-5-17, I had submitted a problem for UG and NX not being able to communicate.  I was given the solution (shown below) by Ganesh_Kadole  and it worked great.  Unfortunately, my computer was having resource problems with NX and it was causing almost everything in my computer to run slow.  Because of that my computer was recently re-imaged. It's running faster; but now I'm back to NX not working with Excel.  I tried to use the same solution that worked last time, but that didn't work this time.

I get the same message "Failed to connect to Excel events".   When this happens, I keep getting that pop-up window and I have to use Task Manager to stop NX.

Is there an option where NX isn't locked to working with Excel for modifying a table in the drawing?  Another CAD software that I used managed the tables within the software itself, but gave the option to edit in Excel if I wanted to.  Is this option available in NX?

Thanks

Check whether 'Ug' add in is active under the Add-Ins of the Excel Options. 

ugexcel.PNG

If not, Click on 'Go' button next to Manage Excel Add-ins and check 'Ug', OK. You should be able to launch spreadsheet.ugexcel1.PNG

ugexcel2.PNG

15 REPLIES

Re: New problem with Excel and NX not working together

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You don't need Excel to edit tabular notes. If a note is edited with the spreadsheet option, it defaults to that edit mode in the future. To change this back, right click on the note and select "edit without spreadsheet". Now you will be able to double click a cell to quickly edit text or right click and use "edit text" to get the full NX text edit dialog.

Genius
Genius

Thanks @cowski1, that will be a good workaround and a direct answer to one of my questions.  Very helpful.

Ultimately, I want to still be able to work with Excel so that I can use part families.  I'm still trying to see if the the company's help desk can find a solution, but hopefully  you all have a solution.  

Is there a way to work with the part families without having to use Excel?  I was able to do that in a different CAD software, so hopefully can do that in NX, too.   Thanks

What (specific) versions of NX (include MP, if any) and Excel are you using? (for Excel, include 32/64 bit)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Hello, it's: NX 10.0.3.5 MP11  Excel MSO (16.0.7726.1049) 32-bit

- Should I be using Excel 64-bit?  Thanks

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

The 64-bit version of Excel is not currently supported with NX, so please continue to use 32-bit Excel.

However, Excel 2016 is not actually supported with NX10.0.3. The first release of NX that supports interactions with Excel 2016 is NX11.0.0. In the System Information section of the NX Release Notes, you will find a section titled "NX compatibility with Spreadsheet" which provides a matrix of supported options. 

Have you considered upgrading to NX11.0.2?

Genius
Genius

Unfortunately, I don't work for a small company, so don't have the freedom (or money) to pick what I want to use.   Does that mean that I'm stuck with this not working?  It did work until my computer had to be re-imaged because the rest of my computer wasn't working well with NX.

See if you can go back to Office 2013.

If there are other NX users, let them know about this issue as well - could be "there's strength in numbers"

Otherwise, you're stuck.

Genius
Genius

I'd also have to pay (or someone would) to go back to Office 2013.  What's perplexing is that I'm fairly certain that I was using Office 2016 before my computer had to be re-imaged becuase of the NX problem and it worked then.  I know it was stated that NX doesn't support Office 2016, 64 bit, but I'm stuck now.  Is it possible that it would still work even if it's not supported?  Thanks

Of course, you gotta love Siemens PLM's consistancy...

TC Requirements (from what I'm told) *requires* 64 bit Excel...

I'm not sure about Office 2016, but the license *may* have a "right to downgrade" option (i.e. if you buy 2016, you may be able to install 2013 instead, but you have to get the install files from somewhere)