Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No constraint indicators when constraining sketch entities to datum planes?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In the sketch below a line has been made collinear with a datum plane using a collinear constraint. However, there is no constraint indicator showing this.  Is that normal?  The line is definitely constrained because I can't drag it out of place and the sketch shows it's "fully constrained".  But what if I want to remove the constraint?  How would I do that other than delete the line?  Thanks for any feedback. Something I just noticed while working on this sketch and was wondering about.

040617_collinear_constraint_but_no_indicator.png

15 REPLIES

Re: No constraint indicators when constraining sketch entities to datum planes?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You can use "show remove constraints" or the "relations browser", depending on NX version.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@DaveK wrote:

You can use "show remove constraints" or the "relations browser", depending on NX version.

Yes, that works.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I am curious though why a constraint icon isn't shown with datums (like there is when constraints are applied between other entities)?  Otherwise, you really have no idea it's there unless you look in the relations browser.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I just tried a quick test (similar to what is shown in your screenshot) in NX 11 and the constraint symbol appears just fine for me.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for testing that. I'm on NX10. Could that be a new feature for NX11?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I doubt it. It also works for me in NX 9 and 10.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@cowski1 wrote:

I tried this with a new file, and it DOES show there!  So apparently it's something in the file I've been working on (an assembly model) that's not right.  I went back and looked at this more carefully, and apparently it's just one datum plane that is exhibiting this behavior (see below).  Odd though, I wonder what could be causing that.  Any ideas?  Regardless, since it's just that one I'm not going to worry too much about it.  Hopefully it won't appear anywhere else. Thanks for your help.

040617_colline_constraint_check.png

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@pkelecy wrote:

@cowski1 wrote:

I tried this with a new file, and it DOES show there!  So apparently it's something in the file I've been working on (an assembly model) that's not right.  I went back and looked at this more carefully, and apparently it's just one datum plane that is exhibiting this behavior (see below).  Odd though, I wonder what could be causing that.  Any ideas?  Regardless, since it's just that one I'm not going to worry too much about it.  Hopefully it won't appear anywhere else. Thanks for your help.

040617_colline_constraint_check.png

I have also checked this in NX 9 and 10, works fine without any problem.

From the picture it is clear that 'Display Sketch Constraints' option is on/active. It will be vague to conclude by just looking at the picture.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for confirming this. Unless there is some way to suppress the display of sketch constraints for a single entity, it's probably some obscure bug. I may send the file to GTAC and let them look at it. Maybe they'll be able to find the problem.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@pkelecy wrote:
Thanks for confirming this. Unless there is some way to suppress the display of sketch constraints for a single entity, it's probably some obscure bug. I may send the file to GTAC and let them look at it. Maybe they'll be able to find the problem.

Just a suggestion, if you feel ok for sharing the part file here. Probably you will get the answer/solution before reaching to GTAC.